Cut your carbohydrate intake by nearly 75% when you enjoy tender breaded chicken with all-natural, homemade whole wheat breadcrumbs baked into a nutrient dense, spaghetti squash bowl to make the most nutritious & delicious Spaghetti Squash Chicken Parmesan.
Are you ready to enjoy the classic Italian-American staple, Chicken Parmesan, like you never have before? My Spaghetti Squash Chicken Parmesan will leave you full, satisfied, and happy enough to say “I’ll never eat pasta again”.
Spaghetti Squash Chicken Parmesan
You know that great feeling of satisfaction when you’re stuffed after a great meal? You will get that feeling after eating this Spaghetti Squash Chicken Parmesan, without the dreaded pasta crash afterward. When you replace traditional spaghetti with spaghetti squash, you cut your carbohydrate intake by nearly 75% so you will feel full and satisfied without feeling tired and bloated.
I spend most of my time cooking with my sister Abbey, who is a type-1 diabetic, so creating low-carb recipes, that still taste amazing, are necessary for us. I am absolutely in love with how delicious this recipe came out with just a few healthy exchanges. This recipe not only replaces pasta with spaghetti squash but also swaps traditional bread crumbs for all-natural homemade whole wheat bread crumbs.
Spaghetti Squash – A Healthier Choice
Traditional white pasta doesn’t have much nutritional value and is loaded with simple carbohydrates that tend to skyrocket blood sugars shortly after eating. Swapping spaghetti squash for pasta not only helps to reduce the amount of simple carbohydrates consumed by nearly 75%, but this tasty squash can also supply nearly 10% of your daily value of fiber which plays an important role in keeping you full and preventing blood sugar spikes. Spaghetti squash is also high in vitamins C & A as well as the minerals potassium and calcium.
While there is nothing wrong with enjoying a serving of whole wheat pasta, we simply tend to eat too much. This recipe allows you to eat and enjoy the entire bowl of squash, without consuming too many calories or carbohydrates!
Grow Your Own. If you’re feeling ambitious and love to garden, I highly recommend trying to grow your own! We had an incredible harvest this year with nearly 40 harvested this fall! As you can imagine, I now have a lot of spaghetti squash recipes to create 🙂
- 1 small spaghetti squash
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 cup of low-sodium or homemade sauce
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400º
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half-length wise and scoop out the seeds.
- Lay the spaghetti squash face up on a lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven for 40 minutes.
- While the spaghetti squash is cooking: Dip the chicken breasts in the beaten egg until well coated. Then cover evenly with homemade bread crumbs.
- Place on a foil lined baking sheet and put in the oven.
- Let the chicken cook for 25 minutes or until it has reached an internal temperature of 165º.
- When the chicken is fully cooked, remove the spaghetti squash and fill each half with spaghetti sauce.
- Top with chicken breast.
- Add the rest of the sauce.
- Sprinkle a little bit of mozzarella cheese on top.
- Place back into the oven for 5 minutes to warm the sauce and melt the cheese.
- Remove and enjoy!
See? You can still enjoy your favorite meals, it just takes some creativity to turn them healthy again!
Now tell me, do you love this recipe?!? Let me know in the comment section below!
P.S. Are you interested in learning more about plant-based eating? Do you want to get healthy & stay happy without ever having to diet again? Be sure to sign up below for your free 5 Day Plant-Based, No Added Sugar, Meal Plan to see exactly how delicious plant-based eating can be!