Does eating fat make you fat? Should we fear fat or embrace it? Learn The Truth About Fat from nutrition expert Emily Kyle below!
(And the answer is NO, fat does not make you fat ;))
Fat is Not the Enemy
Many of the women that I work with were once under the impression that fat was bad for you, but I have helped them to learn that is just not the case! As I mention in the video below, in the 1990’s and early 2000’s, a low-calorie, low-fat diet was thought to be the key to weight loss. However, today in 2016 we now know that fat is not the enemy and actually plays a vital role in optimal health.
The Truth About Fat
- FAT DOES NOT MAKE YOU FAT!
- Fat comes in many different forms; some healthy, some not so healthy, and some very unhealthy.
- Healthy forms of fat can and should compose anywhere between 20-35% of your daily calories consumed!
- Healthy fats are an absolutely critical component of any diet and can help your body function properly and efficiently.
- Unsaturated fats are known as the healthy fats and may also be called unsaturated fats, monounsaturated fats, and polyunsaturated fats.
- Consuming these good fats is thought to help lower bad cholesterol levels and will help with the absorption and use of the important fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E & K.
- Saturated fat is considered to be ‘not so healthy’ and can provide up to 10% of your daily total calories.
- What foods contain saturated fats? Animal products like steak, ground beef, pork, chicken with skin, butter, cream and other full-fat or reduced-fat dairy products, fried foods, baked goods, coconut products like coconut oil, palm and palm kernel oil.
- The very unhealthy form of fat, known as trans fat, has now been banned by the FDA and should be avoided at all cost. deo!
Watch the Video!
Fat can understandably be confusing! So this week for my Health in a Handbasket Segment I talked about our Topic of the Week – Healthy Fats! In this video, I debunk some common misconceptions, like the idea that fat is bad for you, or that fat makes you fat. I will also help you to learn how to incorporate the good type of fat into your diet.
I hope this video give your a little bit more insight on the truth about fat and that you should embrace your fat intake and use it as a way to stay full and satisfied while providing your body with the nutrients that it needs to perform its best every day!
If you have more questions, let me know in the comments section below! And don’t forget to Pin this article for later!
BEFORE YOU GO!
Subscribe to get your weekly dose of holistic wellness, health & happiness!
Latest posts by Emily Kyle (see all)
- Learning to Love Food Again - August 16, 2017
- Getting to Know NOW Foods - August 9, 2017
- Why You Need to Become Your Own Health & Wellness Advocate - August 7, 2017
- Raspberry Peach Summer Glow Smoothie - August 5, 2017
- The Importance of Creating a Self-Care Routine - August 1, 2017