Vegan Nice Cream Hearts
February is National Heart Month and I want you to be aware that Heart Disease is the #1 Killer of Women. Show your heart some love and trade your traditional Ice Cream for some heart healthy Nice Cream ♥
These Vegan Nice Cream Hearts will provide you with a heart healthy desert full of vitamins & minerals, while saving you tons of calories and unnecessary saturated fat!
If you haven’t yet noticed, I LOVE Pink and I LOVE Hearts ♥ ♥ ♥
Valentine’s Day is my kind of holiday: pink, red, glitter, romance, wine!! I am not sure why chocolate is the standard for v-day, but I wanted to create a treat that would satisfy all of your sweet and chocolatley cravings while remaining nutritious and delicious!
If you haven’t yet tried Nice Cream, you’re missing out! It is basically just frozen bananas blended together with whatever additive you desire like milk, sweeteners, and other ingredients. When frozen and blended, bananas have a wonderfully creamy and smooth texture the proves to be a lovely substitute for ice cream.
These Vegan Nice Cream Hearts can be made anytime throughout the year for a healthy and refreshing snack. Compared to traditional ice cream, nice cream helps to reduce the amount of calories, fat and saturated fat consumed while adding a ton of vitamins and minerals that will help your body function properly.
Not only are bananas low in calories, they are a good source of vitamins & minerals as well as fiber. Each banana provides approximately 3 grams of dietary fiber. You probably already know that bananas are high in potassium, but what does potassium do in the body? Potassium is an electrolyte that can help promote heart health by maintaining good blood pressure levels within the body. February is National Heart Month and it is important to be aware that heart disease is the #1 killer of women. Show your heart some love and trade traditional ice cream for heart healthy Nice Cream ♥
Vegan Banana & Strawberry Nice Cream Hearts
- For Chocolate Layer
- 1 cup of semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (Trader Joe's semi-sweet are vegan!)
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Heart Mold
- A silicone baking mold is the best tool to use for this recipe because you can easily bend the mold to pop out the ice cream hearts! This is what I used.
- For Banana Nice Cream
- 5 bananas, sliced and frozen
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ⅛ teaspoon coconut extract
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract
- For Strawberry Nice Cream
- 1 cup of frozen strawberries
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 packets of stevia
- Remove the frozen bananas and strawberries from the freezer so they can thaw a bit while you're working.
- Add the chocolate chips and coconut oil to an uncovered mason jar.
- Put the mason jar in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring well in between, until the chocolate is smooth and runny.
- Pour a thin layer of chocolate into the bottom of the silicone heart mold and place in the freezer.
- While the chocolate is freezing, it is time to make the banana ice cream.
- Add the banana, coconut milk, coconut & vanilla extract to a food processor or blender and blend. Blend for several minutes until an ice cream like consistency is formed.
- Remove the silicone heart mold from the freezer and pour the banana mixture on top of the chocolate, taking up approximately ⅓ of the mold. Return to the freezer.
- Take the rest of the banana mixture and place in the refrigerator while making the strawberry layer.
- Add the strawberries, coconut milk and stevia to the food processor or blender again and repeat the same process as above until a smooth texture is achieved.
- Pour the strawberry mixture over the banana layer, leaving room in the mold for 1 more banana layer.
- Return to the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the mold from the freezer and add the last layer of banana nice cream.
- Freeze for 1 hour or more.
- When fully frozen, the nice cream hearts should easily pop out of the silicone mold.
- Place the hearts on a foil lined baking sheet and decorate however you would like.
- I added a drizzle of chocolate, left over from the melted chocolate used in the beginning, and garnished the hearts with unsweetened coconut flakes and edible gold sprinkles.
- These can be stored in the freezer until ready to enjoy!
Love healthy desserts? Check out all of my healthy dessert recipes and learn why you can still enjoy all of your favorite treats in a nutritious and delicious way!
Now, are you ready to create the happy and healthy lifestyle you’ve always dreamed of?
Click here to get started!