Learn more about these 5 Health Benefits of Kombucha Fermented Tea and how this delicious beverage can help to support a happy & healthy holistic lifestyle. This post has been proudly sponsored by KOGAbucha. As always, all opinions expressed are my own.
5 Surprising Health Benefits of Kombucha Fermented Tea
What is Kombucha?
There is a good chance you may have already heard of kombucha, or fermented tea that contains an appetizing combination of bacteria and yeast, before or have seen it in your local grocery store. No longer a drink reserved for foodies and health and wellness enthusiasts, kombucha is becoming a popular mainstream beverage, and for good reason.
Not only is kombucha a delicious, low-calorie beverage but it also provides many unique benefits aside from nutrition alone. Kombucha is made by introducing a symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast, also known as SCOBY, into brewed black or green tea, with sugar. The mixture is then left to ferment over a period of time, which in turn creates the slightly-fizzy, delicious drink known as kombucha.
As Featured on Good Day Rochester
In This Article You Will Learn:
- The Surprising Nutritional Benefits of Kombucha
- The Health Benefits of Non-Alcoholic Kombucha
- About New Hemp and CBD Infused Kombucha Products
- How Kombucha Production Supports Local Business
- How Drinking Kombucha Supports a Holistic Healthy Lifestyle
#1 – Surprising Nutritional Benefits of Kombucha
The Health Benefits of Kombucha
Kombucha is a Source of Vitamin B12
Vitamin B12 is most commonly known as the nutrient that is ‘missing’ from a traditional plant-based diet. That is because Vitamin B12 is synthesized only by certain bacteria and is primarily concentrated in the bodies of predators located higher in the food chain. The most common dietary sources of Vitamin B12 comes from animal based foods such as meat, milk, eggs, fish, and shellfish.
For anyone interested in adopting a more plant-based diet, it is necessary to identify plant-derived food sources that naturally contain a large amount of Vitamin B12 to prevent Vitamin B12 deficiency.
Thankfully, because Vitamin B12 is synthesized by bacteria, the rise in popular fermented foods has given way to new, plant-based sources of Vitamin B12. Fermented foods, such as kombucha, are a good, plant-based source of Vitamin B12. (1)
KOGAbucha has 340% of your daily requirements of Vitamin B12 to help you boost your energy levels naturally.
Kombucha Contains Glucosamine
Glucuronic acid, a compound found in brewed kombucha can be converted by the body into glucosamine, a natural compound that plays a vital role in building and maintaining cartilage in the body.
Studies show that glucosamine may produce a gradual and progressive reduction in joint pain and tenderness. Consuming kombucha can help to supply the body with glucosamine, which helps keep joints strong and may help ease joint pain.
Kombucha Contains Antioxidants
Traditional black and green tea contain high amounts of antioxidants, so it comes as no surprise that kombucha, too, contains high amounts of antioxidants.
Kombucha brewed from green tea will have higher concentrations of antioxidants from the polyphenols, which function as powerful antioxidants in the body. Antioxidants protect the body from free radicals and protect the cells from damage.
Kombucha Contains Probiotics
During the fermentation process that takes place to produce kombucha, a large amount of probiotic bacteria is also produced. Probiotics are vital to good health as they provide the digestive system with the necessary ‘good’ bacteria to help function properly. Consuming adequate amounts of probiotics have been associated with improved digestion and enhanced performance of the immune system.
Taking care of your gut may be one of the best things you can do for your health, making kombucha a highly nutritious, functional drink.
#2 – Benefits of Non-Alcoholic Kombucha
Kombucha Without Alcohol
Fermentation is the process in which yeast breaks down sugar into alcohol and carbon dioxide. Because kombucha is a fermented drink, each batch that is brewed contains a small amount of alcohol, typically ranging from anywhere to 0.5 – 2.0%. If you are brewing your own kombucha at home or buying it from home brewers then this often tends to be on the higher end of the spectrum.
Why Would You Want Kombucha Without Alcohol?
There are many reasons why one may wish to consume alcohol free kombucha. Whether it be for personal reasons, religious reasons, or health reasons, having an alcohol free kombucha option on the market is great news for those who may typically avoid the drink.
Having an alcohol free kombucha means that those who want to consume the health benefits of kombucha, without the alcohol, can now safely do so, making kombucha more accessible to individuals who may be allergic to alcohol, pregnant, or abstaining for other reasons.
Where to get Kombucha Without Alcohol?
KOGAbucha, a Rochester, NY based Kombucha Brewing Company, is changing the game when it comes to non-alcoholic kombucha.
KOGAbucha has invested in SCC technology, a unique spinning cone column (SCC) which separates the ethanol from the liquid kombucha without affecting its bacterial profile. KOGAbucha now brews a unique beverage that contains all of the nutritious health benefits of kombucha without any of the alcohol.
With this new technology KOGAbucha can produce the only product line of certified, alcohol-free Kombucha in New York State.
#3 – New Hemp and CBD Infused Kombucha Products
KOGAbucha is not only a leader and an innovator when it comes to non-alcoholic kombucha products, but they are also incorporating the health benefits of hemp into their kombucha product line, HEMPbucha.
Hemp, derived from the hemp plant, is a part of the cannabis genus. While both CBD and THC are active compounds found in marijuana, the CBD we are talking about here is derived from industrial hemp, which is defined as a cannabis plant containing no more than 0.3% THC.
Note: thanks to the passage of the 2018 Farm Bill, Hemp and CBD derived from hemp is now 100% legal in the US.
HEMPbucha is a kombucha beverage that has been infused with organic hemp CBD oil for added health benefits. As a bonus, the hemp used in HEMPbucha has been sourced locally from the rich soil of New York State.
Why Put Hemp and CBD in Kombucha?
Cannabidiol (CBD) is a natural remedy used for many common ailments, including chronic pain and anxiety. Studies are finding that it may have the ability to:
- Relieve pain
- Reduce anxiety and depression
- Alleviate cancer-related symptoms
- Have neuroprotective properties
- Benefit heart health
By adding CBD derived from hemp products to HEMPbucha, KOGAbucha is adding to the already impressive list of potential health benefits provided by kombucha drinks.
HEMPbucha Flavors and Prices
Currently, HEMPbucha has the following flavors available:
- Original HEMPbucha in a 12 ounce bottle for $4.50
- Pineapple HEMPbucha in a 12 ounce bottle for $4.50
- You can also buy in bulk and purchase a case of 12 for $42 and include a combination of flavors
#4 – HOW Kombucha Supports Local Business
As a lifelong Rochester, New York resident, it is important to me to support local business, which is why I am proud to partner with KOGAbucha.
When you buy KOGAbucha you are supporting a local Rochester small business!
KOGAbucha started out brewing kombucha in the kitchen of KOGA Rochester, the areas only BIKRAM Yoga studio. Originally created in small wooden barrels, KOGAbucha became a popular rejuvenator and refresher for the regular Yoga clients.
KOGA soon realized the demand was larger than what they could produce in the small kitchen environment, so they moved production to a full-size facility with all the latest high-tech equipment. Most recently KOGA invested in a Spinning Cone Column (SCC), a machine that at high velocities extracts all traces of alcohol from kombucha, resulting in the innovative non-alcoholic kombucha product mentioned above.
Why KOGAbucha is Different
- KOGAbuchas mission is to design a delicious, healthy product that tastes amazing. All of the KOGA varieties are small-batch crafted and infused with cold-pressed REAL fruit.
- KOGAbucha offers one of the only Certified Non-Alcoholic Kombucha beverages on the market.
- KOGAbucha supports Rochester, NY and was the official beverage of the Rochester International Jazz Festival
- KOGAbucha has 340% of your daily requirements of Vitamin B12 to help you boost your energy levels.
- All KOGAbucha products are USDA Organic, Non-GMO, Gluten-free and Vegan
Available KOGAbucha Flavors and Prices
- Blueberry Mint in a 12 ounce bottle for $3.50
- Ginger Pineapple in a 12 ounce bottle for $3.50
- Hibiscus Lemonade in a 12 ounce bottle for $3.50
- You can also buy in bulk and purchase a case of 12 for $36 and include a combination of flavors
Where can I buy KOGAbucha?
- KOGA Rochester BIKRAM Yoga Studio
- House of Kombucha (Coming Soon!)
- Pittsford Farms Dairy
- Powers Farm Market
- The Country Club of Rochester
- Webster Fit Body Bootcamp
- 4 Performance Fitness Perinton
- Snap Fitness in Orchard Park, NY
- GNC Buffalo | Niagra Falls & Eastview Plaza
- LA Fitness Buffalo | Amherst, Williamsville & Niagra Falls Blvd
- Finger Lakes Coffee Roasters | Pittsford, Farmington, Thompson Hospital & Destiny Mall
#5 – How Kombucha Supports a Holistic Lifestyle
The KOGA Lifestyle
What started in a BIKRAM Yoga Studio, the KOGA brand quickly evolved into an entire lifestyle brand. KOGA wants the local Rochester community to experience the KOGA life which they can do in 3 ways:
- Participate in a BIKRAM YOGA class at KOGA Rochester
- Enjoy the health benefits of KOGAbucha – either the traditional KOGAbucha, the Non-alcoholic KOGAbucha or the HEMPbucha.
- Visit The House of Kombucha which is opening in January 2019. The House of Kombucha is located at Clover View Plaza Monroe Ave, Rochester, NY 14618. The House of Kombucha will not only carry the entire line of KOGAbucha kombucha, but it will offer other healthy lifestyle products to support your happy & healthy holistic lifestyle.
Related Articles for Further Reading
DON’T FORGET YOUR MEAL PLAN
If you’re looking for additional help in meal planning or discovering new and delicious recipes to try, be sure to download my Free eBook – The Happy & Healthy Flexible Meal Plan below:
Welcome! I’m Emily Kyle, a nationally recognized media registered dietitian nutritionist & holistic cannabis practitioner providing holistic health care for those living with autoimmune and inflammatory conditions. To help you, I offer food sensitivity testing, cannabis education, and this blog which provides free resources including anti-inflammatory recipes, holistic health, wellness and nutrition related articles, and evidence-based cannabis education.