Spiked for mom & dad, virgin for the little ones, delicious for all, this warm Almond Joy Hot Chocolate Toddy is the perfect vegan and gluten-free drink to add a little extra chocolate magic to all of your Holiday Celebrations!
An Appreciation for Hot Cocoa
Unless you live somewhere snowy and cold like me, I don’t think you can have a true appreciation for warm toasty drinks like this delicious Almond Joy Hot Chocolate Toddy.
We just got home from beautiful, sunny Orlando Florida where we spent the week at Disney and enjoying the holiday with family. It was a ‘cold week’ for them, only getting into the low 70’s during the day.
Me?? I was in a tank top all week sipping on every fruity cocktail I could find, squealing with joy every-time I checked the weather app to see that the temperature at home was 8 degrees.
But of course, all good things must come to an end, and we came home on a balmy warm 24 Degree day.
Almond Joy Hot Chocolate Toddy
Sure it is easier to grab a hot cocoa from the packet, but if you really want a decadent version, homemade is the way to go. It doesn’t really take very long to make this, and the taste is well worth the extra five-minute wait.
For my family, it is really more about the tradition of enjoying a cup of this hot cocoa while decorating the Christmas tree.
This year we all put on our Christmas jammies and decorated the tree while watching the classic, Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer.
We are really big into Christmas traditions, I think it is just as important for the little ones as it is for mom and dad. We have a special Christmas Morning Coffee Tradition, which this hot cocoa would actually be perfect for if you didn’t like coffee!
RELATED RECIPE: Love Almond Joy Anything? Check out these Almond Joy Energy Bites!
Alcohol or No Alcohol?
Now I fully understand that the decision to consume alcohol is a personal one, but as a mom to a three-year-old little boy, I find that a little bit of rum at the end of a chaotic day is truly enjoyable 😉
Now, obviously we don’t want to be sharing this spiked version with our little ones!
But the beauty of this recipe is that you can make it all, serve it to everyone who would like the virgin version, and then add your alcohol to taste.
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 4 cups unsweetened coconut milk beverage, or milk of choice
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons stevia, or desired sweetener
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 ounces coconut or white rum, optional
- whipped cream, regular or vegan
- In a small saute pan, lightly toast your slivered almonds over medium heat. Be careful not to burn them!
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, combine the milk, cocoa powder, stevia, coconut and almond extract and whisk well until the cocoa powder is well incorporated.
- Heat until desired temperature is reached. Don't boil.
- Serve the virgin hot cocoa to the kiddos.
- Stir in the rum for mom and dad.
- Garnish with whipped regular or coconut cream.
- Top with toasted almonds.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 120 Saturated Fat: 5g Sodium: 150mg Carbohydrates: 5g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 1g Protein: 2g