Enjoy a Coconut & Pineapple Quinoa Breakfast Bowl the fancy way inside a pineapple boat or get practical and prep this dish over the weekend for a
Coconut Pineapple Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
Whether you’re dreaming of a tropical destination or just looking for a delicious breakfast, you will get both with this Coconut & Pineapple Quinoa Breakfast Bowl.
Packed with nearly 15 grams of plant-based protein from the quinoa, this yummy treat is naturally sweetened with pineapple and dates to keep you full and focused all morning long.
There is nothing like a monthly recipe challenge to remind me just how fast time is truly flying by.
It seems like just yesterday I made these Pink Spring Rolls, but I guess it was really a month ago! This month we were all challenged to create A Vacation-Inspired Recipe ♥
Start unpacking your favorite vacation memories. Think about a trip you took state-side or internationally and create a healthy recipe from an unforgettable meal you enjoyed. Or, create a recipe from a native ingredient you saw or tasted on your travels.
If I am on vacation, I am grabbing up every single frosty, frozen, pineapple coconut drink I can find – and it BETTER be served in a coconut or a pineapple or with a tiny umbrella 😉
My love for tasty frozen drinks led me to create this yummy tropical breakfast bowl.
You can really get creative with this recipe and use any toppings that you like. For a healthy, well-balanced breakfast be sure to add some nuts or seeds to add in some more heart healthy fats and fiber!
Practical Meal Prepping
I know what you’re thinking about the pineapple boat – Emily, no one has time for that! Which is totally true unless you’re on vacation or having a super fancy Sunday Brunch.
I get it, I get up at 5:30 every morning to head to work at the hospital too, which is why it is so important to me to have breakfast prepped ahead of time.
This recipe can easily be made on Meal Prep Sunday to ensure you have a healthy breakfast all week long, simply pre-portion it out into microwave-safe containers and store in the fridge until you’re ready to head to work or school.
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed
- 4 cups coconut milk beverage
- 1 fresh pineapple, diced or 1 cup of crushed pineapple
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 2 Tablespoons chopped dates
- 2 Tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao nibs
- Place a diffuser between the stove and a medium sized pot.
- Add coconut milk to the pot and gently bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add quinoa and reduce heat to low. Cover loosely.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until the all of the coconut milk is absorbed.
- Turn off the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the pineapple if you are using fresh.
- If you want to serve this tasty breakfast in a literal pineapple bowl, just follow these directions.
- Carefully cut the pineapple in half lengthwise.
- Using a paring knife, gently cut out the core.
- Scoop the remaining pineapple out of the skin, being careful not to puncture the skin.
- Take the pineapple that has been removed from the skin and gently mash and remove any large chunks.
- After the quinoa has sat on the stove without heat for 5 minutes, stir in your fresh or crushed pineapple and shredded coconut.
- Stir well.
- Top with toppings.
- If meal prepping, portion out quinoa into 5 containers.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 445 Total Fat: 36g Saturated Fat: 30g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 26mg Carbohydrates: 31g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 11g Protein: 7g
DON’T FORGET YOUR MEAL PLAN
If you’re looking for additional help in meal planning or discovering new and delicious recipes to try, be sure to download my Free eBook – The Happy & Healthy Flexible Meal Plan below:
Hi there, I’m Emily Kyle, a nationally recognized media dietitian & nutrition communications expert on a mission to help you create the happy & healthy holistic lifestyle you deserve. To help you on your wellness journey, I offer holistic health counseling and resources that focus on holistic health & wellness, anti-inflammatory, whole food recipes, and my love for gardening inside #TheMillennialGarden.