This delicious Greens & Beans Stuffed Portobello Mushroom recipe featuring white beans, kale, and fresh lemon juice nestled inside a juicy baked portobello mushroom is the perfect way to add more meatless meals to your dinnertime routine.
Greens & Beans Stuffed Port0bello Mushrooms
These Greens & Beans Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms are a perfectly healthy Meatless Monday dish that will keep you and the whole family coming back for more week after week.
Plus, if you’re like me and love the flavor of garlic and lemon together, this recipe is perfect for you. The bright, fresh flavors pair perfectly with the hearty greens and white beans. I think this is the best meatless dinner because the portobello mushroom cap is so hearty, you will never miss the meat.
Greens & Beans Nutrition
This dish is a nutrient powerhouse that tastes amazing. If you follow me on Instagram, you know I make this recipe at least once a week in the summer when there is an abundance of fresh kale or swiss chard in my garden. I love the fresh flavors paired with awesome health benefits.
The white beans in this dish provide you with the plant-based protein and dietary fiber needed to keep you full all night long, while kale will give you vitamins K, A & C, calcium and B vitamins, and even more fiber.
Don’t care for kale?
No worries! You can use any hearty green in this dish including spinach, collard greens, swiss chard, or beet greens.
If you’re looking for a little more flavor, add a bit of mozzarella cheese to the dish, but if you’re vegan go ahead and skip the cheese and enjoy this tasty meal as is.
AS FEATURED IN MY COOKBOOK
We enjoy this recipe so much, I included this recipe inside my first cookbook, The 30-Minute Thyroid Cookbook: 125 Healing Recipes for Hashimoto’s and Hypothyroidism.
Greens & Beans Stuffed Mushrooms
- 4 portobello mushroom caps 4-5” wide
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 8 cups baby kale
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 15.5 ounce cans of white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese divided
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with foil, spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- Lightly drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the caps of the mushrooms, flip, and repeat on the gill side. Season with salt and pepper and place onto the baking sheet gill side up.
- Place in the oven to bake for 10 minutes.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, add the remaining olive oil to a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Begin to add the kale by the handful, it will begin to wilt down as it cooks. Gradually add the vegetable stock as the kale wilts.
- After you’ve added all of the kale and it has cooked down, stir in the beans, and lemon juice.
- Let cook for another 2 minutes, stirring frequently until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Remove the mushrooms after 10 minutes, remove them from the oven and fill the caps with the greens & beans mixture.
- Sprinkle each mushroom cap with mozzarella cheese. Place back into the oven for 3 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and is lightly golden brown.