This post, Grilled Pork Skewers with Chipotle BBQ Sauce, has been sponsored as a part of my proud partnership with Unilever. As always, all opinions expressed are my own.
Grilled Pork Skewers with Chipotle BBQ Sauce
We are having an exceptionally hot summer here in Upstate NY – I’m talking high 90’s for days on end. I personally LOVE it, I would take the heat over the cold and snow any day. But this heat does take its toll on living a healthy lifestyle, especially when I dread the thought of turning my oven on to make dinner.
Luckily, my grill master husband, Chef Phil, has kept our house cool (and our bellies full) by cooking out on the grill almost every night. We have been getting adventurous with trying new, exciting recipes and have discovered that no matter what it is – if it is served on a stick – my three-year-old will eat it.
That fact led us to create our new favorite recipe: Grilled Pork Skewers with Chipotle BBQ Sauce made with Hellmann’s® REAL Ketchup.
Of course, this recipe can easily swap the pork for chicken and you can even try grilled tofu as well for a plant-based option. The Chipotle BBQ Sauce pairs perfectly with all different types of proteins, grilled vegetables, and can even be used as a base sauce for things like pizza and sandwiches.
While traditional BBQ sauce can typically be high in refined sugar, this BBQ sauce is made with Hellman’s® Real Ketchup and has been naturally sweetened with honey and the sweetness of caramelized onions to provide a rich, delicious sauce.
A Proud Partnership
As a dietitian who is passionate about creating positive change in my community, I’m thrilled to be working with Unilever as an Agent of Change this year. I believe in Unilever’s commitment to food that tastes good, does good, and doesn’t cost the earth. Our food philosophies are aligned, making this a natural partnership.
I’m excited to work together with a shared mission in mind: creating a healthier, more sustainable future.
Through product reformulation and innovation, consumer education, transparency in nutrition information, responsible marketing, development of nutritious recipes and sustainable ingredient sourcing, Unilever is working to change the way the world eats.
In 2010, Unilever launched the Unilever Sustainable Living Plan, a 10-year program dedicated to improving health and wellbeing, reducing environmental impacts and enhancing livelihoods around the world.
Unilever’s portfolio of products and recipes empowers others to cook for themselves and their families thus improving their health and wellbeing.
Homemade Chipotle BBQ Sauce
May will argue that any form of barbecue sauce is really just a dressed up type of ketchup, which makes sense considering ketchup is the main ingredient for barbecue sauce. To make BBQ sauce, ketchup is typically mixed with sugar in a 3:1 ratio and then a handful of spices, herbs and a dash of vinegar is added to round out the sauce.
Traditional ketchup is typically made with sweeteners such as high fructose corn syrup. When mixed with even more sugar to make the barbecue sauce, it becomes a sweet sauce that is accompanied with a bad rap for being too high in sugar.
For this recipe, we wanted to keep it as simple as possible, which is why this Chipotle BBQ sauce is made with Hellmann’s® REAL Ketchup that is made with only 6 real, simple ingredients.
I love that it is only sweetened with honey, contains no high fructose corn syrup, and has no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. Hellmann’s® REAL Ketchup is made with non-GMO sourced ingredients, and it is gluten-free and kosher making it a great choice for anyone in the family.
When this REAL Ketchup is mixed together with the smokiness of chipotle peppers, all natural honey and sweet caramelized onions it comes together to create a rich Chipotle BBQ Sauce that adds a delicious pop of flavor to these grilled pork skewers – or anything you choose to put it on!
For the Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced white onion,, small dice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 14 ounce bottle of Hellman's REAL Ketchup
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoon chipotle peppers,, *more if you like it spicy
For the Grilled Pork Skewers
- 8 wooden skewers,, soaked in water to prevent burning
- 1 pound thin sliced boneless pork chops, (approximately 1/4 inch thickness)
- non-stick cooking spray or olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- In a small sauce pan, heat oil on medium heat.
- Add the onions and salt and cook until onions become soft and translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add the minced garlic and cook until it starts to soften (but don't let the garlic brown).
- Add the apple cider vinegar and turn the heat to medium-high, until almost boiling.
- Add the ketchup, honey, Worcestershire and chipotle peppers.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to prevent sticking.
- Once boiling, turn the sauce to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, use an immersion blender (or transfer contents to traditional blender) and blend until smooth.
For the Grilled Pork Skewers
- Cut the pork into strips by slicing the pork chop in half lengthwise into 1/2 inch pieces. Note: the length doesn't matter.
- Skewer 2 pieces of meat per stick lengthwise, ensuring the meat remains flat for even cooking.
- Apply salt and pepper to taste to both sides of the pork.
- Turn the grill on to high heat.
- Liberally oil the grill with non-stick cooking spray or a clean rag soaked with olive oil.
- Carefully lay the skewers on the well oiled grill.
- Quickly brush the pork side facing up with your homemade Chipotle BBQ Sauce and cook for 1-2 minutes before flipping.
- After flipping all of the skewers, brush the other side and grill for another 1-2 minutes or until an internal temperature of 140 degrees is reached.
- Remove the skewers from the grill and wrap tightly in foil. Let the meat rest for approximately 10 minutes. During this time the pork will continue to cook and reach an internal temperate of 145 degrees.
- Serve with additional Chiptole BBQ Sauce as desired. Enjoy!
Please note, the Chipotle BBQ Sauce makes approximately 2 total cups. For this recipe, you will not need to use all of that, you will only need to use approximately 2/3rds of a cup. The nutrition facts have been calculated to reflect that.
*The pork is meant to be cooked quickly. Depending on the strength of your grill, your cooking times may vary. Always cook pork to an internal temperature of 145 degrees.
- Hellmann's Real Ketchup, Sweetened Only with Honey, Family Size, 32 Ounce Bottle
- Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce-20 oz, 2 ct
- Prouten Thick Sturdy Bamboo Skewer Sticks BBQ shish Kabob Fruit Kebab Eco Friendly 10inch X 4mm 100pcs
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: skewers
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 240 Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 75mg Sodium: 300mg Carbohydrates: 23g Sugar: 12g Protein: 25g
DON’T FORGET YOUR MEAL PLAN
If you’re looking for additional help in meal planning or discovering new and delicious recipes to try, be sure to download my Free eBook – The Happy & Healthy Flexible Meal Plan below:
Welcome! I’m Emily Kyle, a nationally recognized media registered dietitian nutritionist & holistic cannabis practitioner providing holistic health care for those living with autoimmune and inflammatory conditions. To help you, I offer food sensitivity testing, cannabis education, and this blog which provides free resources including anti-inflammatory recipes, holistic health, wellness and nutrition related articles, and evidence-based cannabis education.