Swap out your pre-made breadcrumbs made from refined white bread or flour for a more nutritious and delicious alternative like these Seasoned Homemade Whole Wheat Breadcrumbs and enjoy all of the nutritional benefits along with great taste and reduced food waste.
Homemade Whole Wheat Breadcrumbs
Most breadcrumbs are made from traditional white bread or flour, which as we all know is not the best option for our bodies. There really is nothing worth having in white bread or flour as all of the nutrients have been removed.
Manufacturers of these products are required by law to 'fortify' or 'enrich' these products by adding artificial forms of vitamins and minerals back in.
That's right, they remove all of the nutrients to make the product 'white' and then have to add those nutrients back in.
Why not keep the nutrients in the product in the first place?!
That's why I love making these whole wheat breadcrumbs; because I know exactly what is in them.
I also love this recipe because it is a great way to reduce food waste.
Do you ever just throw out the ends of bread or pieces of bread that have gotten just a little too stale?
Or are you like me and accidentally squish the loaf of bread on the way home from the grocery store (every. single. time).
Instead of throwing that bread out, re-purpose it into an ingredient you use in your everyday cooking anyway - breadcrumbs.
A More Nutritious Alternative
It is a well-known fact that American's are not consuming enough whole grains in their diet, although the health benefits of whole grains have been widely supported.
Whole wheat bread is a nutritious whole grain that you can easily incorporate into your everyday eating routine.
These delicious homemade whole wheat breadcrumbs help to deliver the nutritional benefits of whole grains into whatever meal you are eating!
If you're not already eating whole wheat bread, it can be understandably overwhelming trying to choose the right product in the grocery store. Any store you enter seems to carry 50+ varieties of bread!
They key is to look at the ingredients list.
The first ingredient should say whole wheat flour. If the word enriched or fortified is in there, then you should keep looking for another product. It will take some time and patience to find the right one, but the health benefits are so worth it.
Seasoned Homemade Whole Wheat Breadcrumbs
- 6 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, use convection if possible.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- If your bread is not stale, lightly toast it in a toaster or toaster oven. When cool enough to handle, remove the toast and gently tear it into small pieces.
- Add the pieces to a food processor along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Slowly pulse until the bread begins to break down into a uniform, fine consistency.
- When your desired consistency is achieved, pour the breadcrumbs onto the baking sheet. Smooth to create a single layer.
- Place into the oven to bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and gently toss the breadcrumbs with a wooden spoon, rearranging to a single layer again.
- Return to the oven to bake for another 5 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- Let cool and store in an airtight container for up to 1 month.