Everyone will love this Mango Jelly Sandwich, which is the perfect meal-prep staple item to have ready for the busy back-to-school season ahead. Made with vibrant mango, this jelly can be used on sandwiches, to top crackers, as a fruit dip, and more.
This recipe includes gluten-free and allergen-friendly sandwich suggestions and has been sponsored by the National Mango Board.
Mango Jelly Sandwich for Back to School
As we enter the back-to-school season and return to our busy schedules, it's important as parents on the go to plan ahead for meal time. Of course, the meals must be easy, delicious and also kid friendly for our little ones heading back to school.
That’s where this delicious Mango Jelly comes into your meal prep routine. With a delicious pop of flavor, this mango jelly is sure to surprise your family and make their PB&J the most delicious at the lunch table.
Made ahead of time on meal-prep Sunday, this mango jelly is a kid-friendly treat that is naturally sweet and simple to prepare.
In this post you will learn more about our super fun superfruit, mango, plus many mango nutrition benefits, how to cut a mango, and how to serve this sandwich in a variety of allergen friendly ways.
Mango — The Superfruit You Love
- One cup of mango provides 35% of your daily vitamin A, 100% of your daily vitamin C, and 10% of your daily vitamin B6.
- Each serving of mango is fat-free, sodium-free, and cholesterol-free.
- A mango contains 12% of your daily fiber. It’s a delicious and fun way to work your way up to that 100 percent daily intake.
- One cup of mango is also rich in folate, providing 20% of the daily value. One cup of mango is also a good source of copper, providing 10% of the daily value.
- A mango serving size is equivalent to one cup of sliced mangos and is just 100 calories, so it’s a satisfyingly sweet treat.
How to Cut a Mango
In the United States, since different mango varieties have different peak growing seasons, it is always a good time to make this mango jelly for sandwiches and more.
Throughout the year, you'll likely find at least one of the six major varieties of mangos at the grocery store: Honey, Francis, Haden, Keitt, Kent, and Tommy Atkins.
Each type of mango has a unique flavor, so experiment with different varieties at different times of the year. Each has a slightly different color, including gold, red, and green. Do not rely on the color to determine if a mango is ripe. Pick it up instead and give it a squeeze.
How to Prepare a Mango Jelly Sandwich
There are many different food allergies and food preferences prevalent in our culture today, and thankfully there are many different options to help you make the best choice for your family.
Whether you need gluten-free or nut-free products, you have many options for making the safest, most delicious sandwich for your loved ones.
Gluten-Free Mango Jelly Sandwich
Thankfully, this Mango Jelly is naturally gluten-free so the families who need gluten-free options will only need to check the ingredients for bread and nut-butter they decide to use.
Many families need gluten-free or even grain-free sandwich options. You can purchase gluten-free bread at most grocery stores today. If you don’t see any fresh gluten-free bread available, check the freezer section for frozen loaves of gluten free bread.
Nut-Free Mango Jelly Sandwich
Again, this Mango Jelly is nut-free, but many families face the very scary reality that nuts, nut butters, and peanut butter may cause a severe allergic reaction in some children. Thankfully, there are many nut butter options for those who are unable to have peanut butter.
Homemade Mango Jelly
Homemade Mango Jelly
Mango Jelly Sandwich
- 2 slices sandwich bread gluten-free, whole wheat, etc
- 1 tablespoon homemade mango jelly
- 1 tablespoon nut or seed butter
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the mango puree, honey and lemon juice.
- Bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.
Boil for 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the flax meal.
- Let cool uncovered in the fridge until set, at least 6 hours.
- Once the jelly is set, assemble your sandwich as you would a traditional PB&J.