This light and delicious Paleo Chicken Curry Soup combines the fresh flavors of turmeric and coconut for a delicious comfort soup that pairs well with a salad or entree.
Made with coconut milk, fresh green onions, and cilantro, this recipe is Paleo, AIP-friendly, grain-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
Paleo Chicken Soup
This light, delicious soup combines the fresh flavors of ground turmeric and coconut for a delicious comfort soup that pairs well with a salad, an entree, or even on its own.
I love making a big batch of this soup over the weekend on meal prep Sunday as a quick way to prepare easy lunch meals for the entire week. This delicious Paleo Chicken Curry Soup does not use any traditional curry powder and instead relies on the fresh flavors of spices like cilantro and green onion.
While you can use curry powder if you would like, traditional curry powders contain nightshades and seed-derived spices that make it not compatible with an AIP diet.
Paleo Soup Recipes
If you are just simply following a Paleo diet for general health, to manage an autoimmune condition like Hashimoto’s or another thyroid disorder, you may find my cookbook The Easy Thyroid Diet Plan helpful. It even features this delicious recipe!
The Easy Thyroid Diet Plan includes:
- Thyroid 101―Understand what your body is going through with an up-to-date section about the causes and triggers of thyroid diseases such as chronic stress, pregnancy, and leaky gut.
- Variations aplenty―Discover 75 thyroid diet recipes that cater to everyone even if you’re gluten- or dairy-free, along with useful labels for specific dietary needs.
- Reintroduction stage―After the elimination phase, you’ll learn how to properly reintroduce foods into your diet so you can build a truly personalized thyroid diet.
You May Also Like: Turmeric & Coconut Roasted Butternut Squash Bisque
AIP Chicken Soup
Depending on what stage of Paleo or AIP you are on, you can make this recipe as a Paleo soup option, an AIP soup option, a dairy-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, seed-free, soy-free, corn-free, fish & shellfish-free option.
To make this Paleo Curry Chicken Soup AIP friendly, simply omit the crushed red pepper flakes. Everything else in this soup is already AIP friendly.
Of course, if you are in the reintroduction phase of the protocol and have already reintroduced night-shades with no rection, enjoy!
If you are following an Autoimmune Paleo (AIP) diet to manage an autoimmune condition like Hashimoto’s or another thyroid disorder, you may find my cookbook The Hashimoto’s AIP Cookbook helpful.
The Hashimoto’s AIP Cookbook contains 105 Easy Recipes for Thyroid Healing on the Paleo Autoimmune Protocol, including the following AIP Soup recipes:
- One-Pot Shrimp Bisque
- Lemon Spinach Turkey Soup
- One-Pot Zuppa Toscana
- Lamb and Vegetable Stew
Paleo Chicken Curry Soup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 pound organic ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons sliced fresh ginger approx. 2” piece, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup diced celery
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves sliced fresh garlic peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced green onion whites and greens divided
- 3 cups stock or broth
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/16 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup packed fresh cilantro
- 14.5 ounce can lite coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper optional
- In a large soup pot, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the ground chicken and ginger and cook for 5-10 minutes, or until the chicken begins to brown.
- Add the celery and ½ teaspoon salt and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until turning translucent.
- Add the garlic, cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add ½ cup white part of green onions, cook 1 minute.
- Add the mushroom stock, carrots, turmeric, and cinnamon. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to simmer, cover with a tight-fitting lid and let cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 20 minutes, add the ½ cup green part of green onions, cilantro, and coconut milk and turn the heat to high and return to a boil.
- Let simmer for another 10 minutes before serving.
- Top with additional fresh cilantro and green onions as desired.