A unique twist on the classic spring roll. These original Pink Fresh Fruit Spring Rolls are a sweet treat that are naturally dyed, vegan and gluten free!
Pink Fresh Fruit Spring Rolls
With summertime in full swing, it is the perfect time to enjoy a full serving of fruits and vegetables in these gorgeous, naturally dyed fresh fruit spring rolls! You can choose any fruit and vegetable you want to fill these nutritious and delicious rolls that the whole family will love.
Pink Fresh Fruit Spring Rolls
If you are like me, you’re a sucker for anything pink, cute and sparkly! While there is no glitter in these fresh fruit spring rolls, I was able to naturally dye them pink by dipping the rice paper into equal parts warm water and the juice from a can of beets. This gives the spring roll skin a beautiful pink coloring which you can control yourself by varying the amount of beet to water ratio. I went for hot pink! And in case you’re wondering, the spring roll wrappers do NOT absorb the flavor of the beet juice – thank goodness!Roll your own #Pink Fresh #Fruit Spring Rolls | #vegan #glutenfree Click To Tweet
The nice thing about this recipe is that you can really choose to fill your spring rolls with any ingredient that you like! The zucchini and squash were a great addition because they have such a mild flavor that they blend right in with the fruit flavors and add a satisfying crunch as well as volume to these rolls.
The Recipe Redux
This month’s The Recipe Redux theme challenge:
Get Your Fruits and Veggies in Shape
With produce galore, now’s a great time to enjoy lots of fruits and vegetables. Show us how you’re serving the bounty of gardens and orchards in shapes like ribbons, noodles, cut-outs, or other creative cuts.
If we are friends on Instagram you know that I am a passionate gardener and that this year my garden is going absolutely crazy! Despite the ‘drought’ we are experiencing here in Upstate New York, my garden is doing the best it ever has and continues to produce more fruits and vegetables than our family can eat alone. I am excited that this recipe features some of the fruits and veggies are grown in my very own garden, like zucchini, yellow squash, and strawberries.
- 1 pint of strawberries, sliced thin
- ¼ of a watermelon, julienne cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup of blueberries
- 1 small zucchini, spiralized
- 1 small yellow squash, spiralized
- 2 lemons, zested
- 2 limes, zested
- ¼ cup of fresh mint, chopped
- 20 rice paper rolls
- 1 can of beets (not pickled!), drained and juice reserved
- Dipping sauce of choice
- The key to successfully rolling spring rolls is to be sure everything is prepped and ready to go before attempting to start!
- Slice your fruit and spiralize your zucchini and squash!
- In a shallow bowl (a glass pie pan works great) mix equal parts of warm water and the juice from the drained can of beets.
- Using your hands, wet your work surface, like a smooth cutting board, as this will keep your rice paper from getting stuch to the surface.
- Dip the wrapper in the bowl for 10-20 seconds until it remains firm yet pliable.
- Lay your wrapper on the wet surface and work quickly to add the ingredients.
- Start by laying down the sliced strawberries, topped with watermelon sticks, blueberries, lemon and lime zest and mint. Finish by adding the zoodles.
- Be careful not to over or under fill your spring roll wrapper. It may take you a trial run or two to get it just right.
- Work quickly because you don't want your wrapper to lose moisture or become mushy.
- Start on either the left or right-hand size and stretch one side of the wrapper around the pile of ingredients, tucking and rolling the paper until the pile is neatly pulled together.
- Then pull in the top and bottom flaps.
- Tuck in any corners and continue to roll all the way, making the spring roll as tight as possible.
I hope this recipe inspires you and your family to try new ways to enjoy delicious fruits and vegetables! Inspire your little ones to try new things as well, my toddler loved dipping these and playing with the zoodles.
If you love this recipe and have tried it out yourself, be sure to let me know in the comments section below!
P.S. Are you interested in learning more about plant-based eating? Do you want to get healthy & stay happy without ever having to diet again? Be sure to sign up below for your free 5 Day Plant-Based, No Added Sugar, Meal Plan to see exactly how delicious plant-based eating can be!
BEFORE YOU GO!
Subscribe to get your weekly dose of holistic wellness, health & happiness!