Hummus Stuffed Empanadas
These Southwestern Hummus Stuffed Empanadas are the perfect pary treat because they are so easily eaten with one hand, make very little mess, and can be baked ahead of time and brought along to any party! Plus, they’re stuffed with wholesome and tasty ingredients like hummus, corn, green chilies and chicken!
Party Season is Here!!
Southwestern Hummus Stuffed Empanadas
*Note, I made this recipe to take to a big tailgating party and this recipe makes approximately 60 Empanadas. Feel free to cut the recipe in half if you don’t need that many.
- For the shredded chicken:
- 4lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups organic low sodium chicken broth
- 2 sweet onions, finely diced
- 2 Sweet Peppers, any color, finely diced
- 6 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- For the stuffing:
- 6 packages of empanada dough, thawed
- 1 bag frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cans of green chiles
- 3 - 10oz containers of Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 2 farm fresh eggs
- For the dip:
- 1 10oz container of Supremely Spicy Hummus
- 1 cup of plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- For the shredded chicken (*make ahead):
- Add the chicken, chicken broth, onions, peppers, taco seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper to a slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 3 hours and then shred the chicken with two large forks. *Let the chicken cool completely before assembling your empanadas. I made my chicken the day before and placed it in the refrigerator overnight.
To assemble the empanadas:
- In a small bowl whisk together 2 eggs for your egg wash. Set aside.
- Assemble your mise en place so you can work efficiently, like an assembly line. Unwrap the empanada shells, set out the hummus, chicken, corn and green chilies.
- Line 4 baking sheets with tin foil and top with a piece of parchment paper. aligncenter size-full" title="Empanadas by RDN Mommy Emily Cope, MS, RDN 3" />
- Lay your empanada shell in the empanada maker. (If you don't have an empanada maker, that's okay! Just lay it on a flat surface.)
- Using a small brush, or your fingers, brush the egg wash along the side of the empanada shell, where you will press each side together to close the empanada.
- Add a spoonful of hummus, a small bit of chicken, diced green chilies and corn to the middle of the empanada shell. *It may take you a few tries to get the proportions down right. You don't want it to be too stuffed because then everything will squish out, but you don't want it to be empty either! aligncenter size-full" title="Empanadas by RDN Mommy Emily Cope, MS, RDN 4" />
- Using the empanada maker or your hands fold the empanada in half and tightly seal the edges. aligncenter size-full" title="Empanadas by RDN Mommy Emily Cope, MS, RDN 5" />
- Place the sealed empanada on the parchment paper lined baking sheet. aligncenter size-full" title="Empanadas by RDN Mommy Emily Cope, MS, RDN 6" />
- Repeat the above steps until you have all of your empanadas made. aligncenter size-full" title="Empanadas by RDN Mommy Emily Cope, MS, RDN." />
- Place the empanadas in the oven for 20-25 minutes. You want to make sure the empanada shell is crisp to the touch.
- For the Supremely Spicy Hummus Dip:
- While the empanadas are cooking whisk together the hummus, Greek yogurt, and salt.
- When the empanadas are done cooking, remove from the oven, serve with the Supremely Spicy Hummus Dip, and enjoy!
If you’re looking for more awesome Superbowl Recipes stop by my 13 Superbowl Recipes from Registered Dietitians article!!
Whatever you’re doing to celebrate Superbowl Sunday, make sure to do it with good food and great friends! And remember that you can always enjoy a happy & healthy lifestyle on any occasion, it just takes a little preparation first!
Don’t forget to Pin this recipe for later!
BEFORE YOU GO!
Subscribe to get your weekly dose of holistic wellness, health & happiness!
Latest posts by Emily Kyle (see all)
- Learning to Love Food Again - August 16, 2017
- Getting to Know NOW Foods - August 9, 2017
- Why You Need to Become Your Own Health & Wellness Advocate - August 7, 2017
- Raspberry Peach Summer Glow Smoothie - August 5, 2017
- The Importance of Creating a Self-Care Routine - August 1, 2017