Hello there, I just want to let you know that this warming, delicious Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit Cider is sponsored by my friends over at the Zespri Kiwifruit Company! As always, the opinions in this post are completely my own.
Festive Fall Favorite
I think we can all agree that cider is hands down, a festive fall favorite. As the days continue to get shorter and the temperature continues to drop, we happily oblige because that means that it is finally time to embrace big comfy sweaters, pumpkin everything, and some of the most delicious food and drinks that we wait all year long to enjoy.
While apples are the traditional fruit of choice for cider, the definition of cider states that cider is “an unfermented drink made by crushing fruit”, leaving the interpretation for which fruit to use up to the creator. Luckily, I like to get creative in the kitchen 😉Cider is not just for apples! Try this SunGold Kiwifruit Cider today!Click To Tweet
Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit are traditionally available between June and October, but when I learned that this year the growing season has extended into January, I knew that they would be the perfect fruit to create a warm and fragrant cider that will be perfect for any festive fall celebration.
SunGold Kiwifruit Cider
While apples are a great fruit to make cider with, they inherently lack the citrus element to make the drink punchy and fragrant, which is why most recipes call for the addition of oranges. SunGold Kiwifruits are the perfect fruit to use in the making of cider because they are sweeter than a green kiwifruit, with a tropical-sweet taste, and the perfect concentration of acidity to reflect the traditional taste of cider.
But what is a SunGold Kiwifruit? Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit is a cross between Gold varieties of kiwifruit. Zespri® spent ten years developing the SunGold variety through natural crossbreeding methods. All Zespri® is non-GMO, and the unique SunGold variety has a smooth, hairless skin and juicy, yellow flesh.
One of the best things about this recipe is that is made entirely in the crockpot, which means that you can literally set it and forget it. It is also a great perk that you’re house will SMELL AMAZING while it is cooking, which means that you should make this recipe for every festive fall get together you ever have 😉
Not only is this recipe easy to make, and delicious, but it also boasts some impressive nutritional value. A serving of Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit (2 kiwifruit) is an excellent source of vitamin C, containing three times more vitamin C than oranges. In fact, just one SunGold covers your daily needs of vitamin C! A serving of SunGold kiwis will provide as much potassium as a medium banana and is also is a good source of antioxidant vitamin E.
Basically, this cider is a magical elixir that will strengthen your immune system and help you to fight off any cold that may come your way! (That’s the hope at least ;))
- 10 Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 3 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 4 cups of cold water.
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- Add the sliced kiwifruit to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add cinnamon sticks and whole cloves.
- Cover with water and set slow cooker to high for 2 hours.
- After two hours, use a potato masher or a whisk to break down the kiwi.
- Stir in the honey and turmeric.
- Return heat to low for an additional 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, turn the heat off and allow to cool for 1 hour.
- When cool enough to handle, arrange a large bowl underneath a fine mesh strainer lined with cheese cloth.
- Strain all of the liquid into a large bowl.
- Discard the solid contents.
- Garnish with a cinnamon sugar ring and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! And more than anything I hope you have a wonderful holiday with family and friends!
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a picture and let me know in the comments section below!
BEFORE YOU GO!
Request your exclusive invitation to join Health & Happiness Community TODAY!
Latest posts by Emily Kyle (see all)
- Welcome to The Millennial Garden - April 10, 2017
- Pink Fresh Fruit Spring Rolls with Strawberry Mint Dip - April 6, 2017
- Balsamic Grilled Asparagus & Blackberries with Almonds - March 28, 2017
- Naturally Dyed Deviled Eggs - March 20, 2017
- Apple & Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal Cake - March 20, 2017