Learn more about The Health Benefits of Chia Seeds, the nutritious benefits they provide, how easy it can be to add them to your favorite meals, plus some tasty chia seed recipes you can try today.
New to Chia Seeds?
You may be hesitant to incorporate these powerful seeds into your daily routine, but have no fear.
Chia seeds are one of the greatest new foods that have made their way to the mainstream grocery market over the past few years, and a personal favorite of mine. Not only are they a great addition to just about any dish, but they are extremely nutritious as well.
Adding just a small amount of chia seeds to the foods and recipes you already love is an easy way to get more vitamin, minerals, dietary fiber and omega-3 fatty acids into your diet.
The Health Benefits of Chia Seeds
- OMEGA 3s. Chia Seeds are composed of nearly 60% ALA omega-3 fatty acids and are the richest plant source of Omega 3’s! What are Omega 3’s you ask? Healthy fats which may help to reduce inflammation, enhance cognitive performance and reduce high levels of cholesterol! If you’re not a fan of fish, this is a great way to get the omega-3 fatty acids you may otherwise be missing.
- FIBER. Chia seeds contain a unique combination of both soluble and insoluble fiber which means you will stay fuller longer, and in turn, eat less overall, which may lead to weight loss.
- DIABETIC FRIENDLY. Chia seeds are an excellent choice for diabetics! Chia seeds are relatively low in carbohydrates, with just 4 grams in 2 tablespoons. Those 4 carbohydrates are complex carbohydrates which means they take longer for the body to digest, therefore minimizing blood sugar spikes during digestion.
The Health Benefits of Chia Seeds
3.5 grams of Heart Healthy Polyunsaturated Fats
4 grams of Carbohydrates
4 grams of Dietary Fiber – 15% of your Daily Value!
2 grams of Protein
1mg of Iron – 4% of your daily value
2200mg of ALA Omega-3 Fatty Acids
What to Do with Chia Seeds?
Chia seeds are unique because when they are mixed with a liquid, they have the ability to absorb 5 times their weight in liquid. When they are combined with the liquid they form a gel-like substance – creating a variety of possible uses. This is why Chia Seeds are so famous for their ability to create awesome pudding and dessert dishes.
But that’s not all they can do! Chia Seeds are incredibly versatile and can be used whole or milled. Toss them into a salad, blend into smoothies, add to oatmeal or yogurt, make a homemade jam/jelly, use as an egg substitute for baking or use as a thickener for soups.
DON’T FORGET YOUR MEAL PLAN!
Part of living a healthy lifestyle includes trying something new. I hope you can find some creative ways to incorporate these nutrient packed seeds into your daily meals and have learned more about The Health Benefits of Chia Seeds.
I hope you’re inspired to try new and different recipes, like the ones made above. If you’re looking for additional help in meal planning or discovering new and delicious recipes to try, be sure to download my Free 16 page eBook – The 5 Day Happy & Healthy Meal Plan below.
Latest posts by Emily Kyle (see all)
- 5 Surprising Health Benefits of Kombucha Fermented Tea - January 13, 2019
- Everything You Need to Know About Turmeric - January 8, 2019
- Lemony Kale, Spinach, and Avocado Salad with Salty Roasted Chickpeas - January 7, 2019
- 5 Habits That Change As We Get Older - December 31, 2018
- Wanting to Lose Weight for New Year’s is Not Wrong. But Here’s the Problem… - December 28, 2018