Enjoy a light and refreshing Tuna Salad Cucumber Boat while cutting down on calories and carbohydrates and savoring fresh, homegrown produce!
Made with Greek yogurt and fresh cucumbers, this dish is the perfect lightened up version of the classic tuna sandwich. Packed with nutrition, this tasty lunch will also serve you with a hearty dose of heart-healthy omega-3’s and protein along with a wide variety of vitamins and minerals.
This time of year I have so many fresh, homegrown cucumbers from my garden that I feel like I have to get creative to use them all up. This is one of my favorite recipes because it is so light and refreshing and makes a perfect lunch or snack that even the kids will enjoy. This recipe features cucumbers instead of the traditional bread or wrap which provide a good dose of fiber, and a satisfying crunch.
Tuna Salad Cucumber Boat
This recipe features cucumbers instead of the traditional bread or wrap. Not that I have anything against bread, but this is a great way to cut your carbohydrate intake and score an extra serving of veggies into the day – yay!! Plus, when I cook for my sister, who is a Type-1 Diabetic, I always try and cut down the carbs in the meal in a realistic and yet still delicious way.This Tuna Salad Cucumber Boat is the perfect lightened up lunch!Click To Tweet
This is also a perfect recipe to make when involving your little ones in the kitchen. Show them how to peel and scoop out the cucumbers, mix the tuna salad and put it all together! My toddler loves this recipe just as much as I do 🙂
- 2 large cucumbers, homegrown or from the farmers market
- 2 cans of white albacore tuna packed in water
- 2 stalks of celery, diced fine
- ¼ cup onion, diced fine
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup Hellmann's mayonnaise made with Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Fresh garden herbs, I used basil, parsley, and dill
- Homegrown tomatoes for garnish.
- Wash and dry the cucumbers.
- Slice them down the middle length wise.
- Using a spoon, gently scrape out the insides.
- Discard the scooped seeds and set the remaining cucumber aside.
- Drain the water from the tuna cans and scoop into a large bowl.
- Using a fork, gently mash the tuna until it is flaked.
- Add the celery, onion, Greek yogurt, mayo, mustard, salt and pepper. Add the fresh herbs if you plan to use any.
- Mash all of the ingredients together with a fork until everything is mixed together well.
- Place your fresh tuna salad mixture in each cucumber half.
- Top with sliced, homegrown tomatoes and additional salt and pepper to taste.
I hope you enjoy this happy & healthy Tuna Salad Cucumber Boat recipe as much as I do!
If you make your own recipe like this, be sure to share it with me in the comments section below!
P.S. Are you ready to take the next step in your happy & healthy holistic lifestyle? Enroll in my FREE 3-Day Online Video Training Course to learn to become a more Mindful Eater! Learning to master the practice of Mindful Eating will help you to gain control of your healthy lifestyle and treat your body with love and respect.
BEFORE YOU GO!
Subscribe to get your weekly dose of holistic wellness, health & happiness!