Save money, time, and frustration with this step-by-step guide to teach you how to roll a blunt the easy way using an easy-to-use pre-rolled blunt wrap. This cannabis blunt guide also includes alternative options for nicotine-free blunt wraps and CBD blunts for the health-conscious cannabis consumer.
Table of Contents
- A comprehensive guide for blunt lovers and newbies alike
- How to use your choice of cones and pre-rolls
- Tips and tricks for a better end product
Why You Will Love This Guide
In recent years, cannabis consumption has expanded into so many forms of consumption, but many of us remember the simple blunt from the good old days.
Rolling a blunt is a good way to enjoy a lot of cannabis at once, and members of my Well With Cannabis Community know they are perfect for social settings.
Unfortunatley, most of us have missed the most important part, the actual how-to of how to roll a blunt.
In this complete guide, I will explore the different materials you can use, the most common way to roll, and the easy steps you need to take to get started.
- Cannabis flower – your desired amount of favorite strain of THC or CBD flower. Grind the flower before proceeding.
- Wrap of choice – Choose your type of blunt wrap. A traditional wrap will come from a cigar. Popular brands include Swisher Sweets, White Owl, and Dutch masters. You can purchase these from most convenience stores. You can also start with pre-rolled wraps and cones that come in different flavors if you want to make the process easier, such as the ones from King Palm.
Note: a complete list of ingredients with amounts and printable instructions is located in the recipe card below.
- One of the first things to do is to weigh out your desired amount of cannabis flower. How much you will need depends on how big your wrap is. As a good rule of thumb, 1-2 grams is a good place to start, but you can go higher if you want. How much cannabis to use is totally up to you.
- Grind the cannabis flower well. You want small pieces that will not poke or tear through your wrap. Remove any seeds or stems as needed.
- If you’re using a pre-filled cigar, you will want to cut it open to remove the tobacco leaves. You can do this with a razor blade or sharp knife. Remove the leaves and discard them if desired.
- You are now left with a cigar wrap. Flatten this out as much as possible on your rolling tray.
- Place the ground weed in the inside of the wrap in a straight line.
- Using your tongue or other wet surface, lick the edge of the wrap so it will stick to the other side.
- Using your index fingers and thumb, begin to roll the blunt.
- If you are using a filter tip, add it now with your non-dominant hand.
- Once you have achieved a good tight roll, use the lighter flame to gently seal the wrap together.
- Find the process overwhelming, especially the first time!? Don’t worry, the art of rolling a blunt can take time to develop. At the end of the day, the only way you will get better is with a little practice. If you’d rather skip the practice, you can use blunt rollers or pre-made cones.
Note: complete step-by-step printable instructions are located in the recipe card below.
What is a Blunt?
As defined by the dictionary, a blunt is informally known as:
a hollowed-out cigar filled with marijuana (cannabis)
Die-hard blunt smokers know that a blunt is defined by the traditional tobacco wrap that is it rolled in.
Traditionally rolled in the tobacco pulp or tobacco leaves that encircle a cigar, the tobacco itself is traditionally removed from the wrap and discarded.
In Europe, it is common to keep the tobacco and mix it together with the cannabis before returning to the wrap and rolling what is known as a spliff.
Cigar blunt wrappers were popular back in the day for many reasons, including the fact that they were easily accessible.
Unfortunately, authorities caught onto the fact that consumers were not actually using tobacco blunt wraps to smoke tobacco, making them difficult to obtain.
Thankfully, with the rise of cannabis culture and the nearing of Federal legalization, more and more products are not easily available in the marketplace, making it easier than ever to easily roll a blunt.
Why Are Blunts Amazing
There are many reasons people love blunts, but for most people, it boils down to two things: taste & nicotine
- Added Taste – Blunt wrappers from traditional cigars will absorb the flavors of the tobacco and any other ingredients added to a cigar. The taste can range from smokey and chocolatey, to dark and fruity. The wraps retain the strong tobacco flavor. Many people like the taste of tobacco and many people like to buy flavored blunt wraps for that exact reason.
- Enhanced High – If you’re rolling a blunt with a traditional tobacco leaf wrap, it is true that you will also be consuming nicotine (1). While this is desired by some due to the added ‘high’ feeling, many people do not want to be exposed to addictive nicotine and will avoid blunts rolled with cigar wrappers for this very reason.
- Generally Bigger – Many of us are social cannabis consumers and prefer to share cannabis in community circles. Because blunt wraps tend to be bigger than traditional joints, they are perfect for sharing with friends and family. They are also likely to have a more controlled, slow burn, which can enhance the smoking experience.
What Are Blunt Wraps?
Traditionally, a blunt is made from a cigar which is a tobacco leaf with the tobacco filling removed and instead wrapped around a cannabis filling.
However, as the popularity of consuming cannabis has increased, so have the blunt wrap options on the market today.
Blunt wraps today can be made from traditional tobacco cigars, premade blunt wraps, and/or blunt pre-rolls.
Picking the perfect blunt wrap is all based on personal taste and preference.
Some people enjoy the traditional cigar and tobacco taste, while other people prefer a flavored taste from a flavored blunt wrap.
Others prefer the all-natural blunt wrap options on the market today that are often times made from palm-leaves or hemp-leaves.
Nicotine-Free Blunt Wraps
For the health-conscious consumer, nicotine-free blunt wraps are ideal because they are free from the addictive substance nicotine.
A traditional blunt wrap made with a traditional tobacco cigar wrapper does, in fact, result in the consumer ultimately consuming nicotine, even though the tobacco filling has been removed1.
Pre-Rolled Blunt Wraps
Frustrated with the process? The good news is that there are new, creative ways to enjoy you cannabis without mastering the art of blunt rolling.
Pre-rolled blunt wraps are much easier to come by these days and make the rolling process easier, and much less messy.
They will leave toy with a nearly perfect finished product, without the frustration of trying to roll a blunt the right way the first time.
They come pre-rolled, meaning there is no filling or licking or rolling. It really is the best way to get the best results without all of the work.
You simply add your ground cannabis flower to the pre-rolled blunt wrap, pack it in with a small tool, and enjoy.
What is a CBD Blunt?
In states with legalized recreational marijuana, it is easy to purchase your desired marijuana flower strain which will have varying ratios of CBD, THC, and other cannabinoids.
Marijuana flower can contain more than 0.3% THC, while CBD flowers must contain less than 0.3% THC.
CBD flower derived from hemp is getting easier to obtain due to the legalization of hemp and is in more of a grey area of legality.
Many people prefer to smoke CBD flowers over traditional cannabis flowers due to the lower psychoactive effects.
Frequently Asked Questions
That is up to you, you can use as much or as little as you want. Just be sure to use enough to fill the blunt wrappings completely, or you will have too much paper at the end.
The difference is in the wrap. A rolled joint is cannabis wrapped in standard rolling paper, like the ones from Zig Zag. A blunt is cannabis rolled in tobacco leaf paper or regular blunt wraps. The average joint can only hold a few grams, while blunts can hold much more. The tobacco paper from the blunt will include a little bit of nicotine, while the traditional cannabis cigarette will not.
How To Roll a Blunt the Easy Way
What You Need
- 1 gram cannabis flower
- 1 each blunt pre-roll or blunt wrapper
How to Use a Wrap
- Weigh out your desired amount of cannabis flower. How much you will need depends on how big your wrap is. Grind the cannabis flower well. You want small pieces that will not poke or tear through your wrap. Remove any seeds or stems.
- If you're using a pre-filled cigar, you will want to cut it open to remove the tobacco leaves. You can do this with a razor blade or sharp knife. Remove the leaves and discard them if desired.You are now left with a cigar wrap. Flatten this out as much as possible on your rolling tray.
- Place the ground weed in the inside of the wrap in a straight line. Using your tongue or other wet surface, lick the edge of the wrap so it will stick to the other side.Using your index fingers and thumb, begin to roll the blunt. If you are using a filter tip, add it now with your non-dominant hand.
- Once you have achieved a good tight roll, use the lighter flame to gently seal the wrap together. Light the blunt and enjoy.
How to Use a Pre-Roll
- Weigh the cannabis flower if you have not done so already.
- Grind the cannabis flower to a semi-chunky grind. This will prevent the flower from tearing holes in the rolling paper.
- Carefully add the ground cannabis flower to the blunt wrap.
- Use a packing rod to ensure the cannabis flower is tightly packed into the blunt wrap.
- Once full and packed, carefully fold the remaining wrapper over itself to enclose the end. Light the blunt and enjoy.