This page may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
This article has been written and fact-checked by Emily Kyle MS, RDN, CLT, HCP, a Certified Holistic Cannabis Practitioner and Registered Dietitian Nutritionist. Click here to learn more.
In this Ultimate Guide to CBD Vape Oil you will learn how to vape CBD oil with CBD oil cartridges and vape pens, understand the important safety considerations for vaping CBD, and find links and resources of where to buy CBD vape cartridges and CBD oil vape pens.
What is CBD?
CBD, short for cannabidiol, is the second most abundant cannabinoid found in the cannabis plant.
CBD hemp oil is derived from industrial hemp, which is defined as a cannabis plant containing no more than 0.3% THC, and is a legal substance under The 2018 Farm Bill.
There are over 100 cannabinoids that have already been identified, including the cannabinoids CBD & THC. Cannabinoids are organic compounds found within the hemp plant that interact with endocannabinoid receptors, trigger a variety of effects.
The human body contains what is known as an endocannabinoid system which interacts with exogenous cannabinoids like CBD and THC through the endocannabinoid receptors. The endocannabinoid system is broadly thought to help with maintaining homeostasis in the body.
CBD is non-psychoactive meaning it does not give the feeling of intoxication or ‘being high’. Fortunately, CBD still provides the many beneficial compounds found within the cannabis plant such as terpenes, flavonoids and phytochemicals.
This is why more and more people are turning to CBD and CBD oil for the potential holistic health and wellness benefits.
You Can Vape CBD Oil?
Yes, you can vape CBD oil.
There are many different application methods for using and consuming CBD products ranging from sublingual absorption, transdermal absorption, digestion of edibles, and inhalation, also known as vaping.
Vaping CBD oil is a smokeless, low temperature method of inhaling CBD vape oil. There are potential CBD vape oil benefits depending on the individual, their certain circumstances, and individual health goals.
However, when choosing a CBD application method, all holistic lifestyle factors must be taken into consideration. Vaping Pure CBD Vape Oil or THC Vape Oil is a preferred method of consumption for many of my clients for many reasons, but can also pose major health risks if not used appropriately.
Is CBD Vape Oil Legal?
Hemp and hemp derived CBD products were made federally legal under The 2018 Farm Bill, but it is important to check with your local state and city regulations to ensure legality.
Health Benefits of Vaping CBD Oil
- Fast Acting. Inhalation of cannabinoids has a typical onset of 1-3 minutes with a lasting duration of 1-3 hours. This is particularly important for those who are using CBD for fast acting purposes, such as in the case of a panic or anxiety attack.
- Potentially Less Toxic. Compared to smoking raw flower or nicotine containing products, vaping CBD may contain less carcinogenic or toxic byproducts, depending on the product you are using.
- Dosing Accuracy. CBD Oil is that vape oil can be dosed fairly accurately in comparison to alternative oral consumption methods. This is especially important when using CBD for therapeutic health purposes (link to CBD class).
- Cannabinoid Retention. Compared to smoking, vaping leaves a much higher, ranging from a 60-90% cannabinoid retention rate. This means there is less waste of valuable cannabinoids from vaping rather than smoking.
Health Dangers of Vaping CBD Oil
- A Health Danger. Vaping CBD, or any substance for that matter, is contraindicated for anyone, especially those with asthma or respiratory conditions.
- Can Cause Long Term Damage: To learn more about the health risks of E-cigarettes and vaping and their impact on the lungs from the American Lung Association, click here.
- Potentially More Toxic. Additional ingredients added to CBD vape oil cartridges, like the popular thinning agent propylene glycol, become carcinogenic when heated.
- Enticing to Minors. Vaping nicotine has become a trend with underage youth, and vaping CBD may follow suit due to its easy accessibility.
What are the CBD Vape Oil Effects?
Vaping CBD tends to produce the same effects typically reported with the use of CBD oil, including, but not limited to:
- Pain relief
- Anxiety relief
- Depression relief
- Relaxation benefits
- Enhanced sleep quality
- Improved mood benefits
It is important to remember that CBD affects each person differently, which is why it is important to work with a trained Holistic Cannabis Practitioner when beginning to use CBD for therapeutic health and wellness purposes.
Will a CBD Hemp Oil Vape Get You High?
No, if you are using pure hemp-derived CBD oil with no added THC, CBD vape oil will not get you high.
This is because CBD is a non-psychoactive cannabinoid and does not produce an intoxicating feeling. However, some anecdotal reports indicate that vaping CBD oil can intensify the euphoric effects often seen with the use of CBD.
Will CBD Vape Oil Show Up on a Drug Test?
No, if you are using a pure broad spectrum CBD oil with no added THC, CBD vape oil will not show up on a drug test.
CBD oil can be sold as either a Full-Spectrum product or a Broad-Spectrum, Isolate, or THC-Free product. While the legal considerations for CBD are that the plant must contain 0.3% THC, full-spectrum products do indeed contain trace amounts of THC.
If you need to be 100% positive you will have no THC in your system, you must opt for a THC free product labeled either broad spectrum or isolate THC free.
What is a CBD Vape Cartridge?
CBD vape oil – also known as CBD vape juice – is CBD oil that has been formulated to be used in a CBD vaporizer or CBD vape pen.
CBD vape oil is made from traditional CBD oil, but includes additional ingredients in order to be physically functional to vaporize with a vaporizer battery. This mixture is packaged in what is known as a cartridge.
The specific additional ingredients used in each cartridge will range from product to product, but all CBD vape oils need to contain a mixture of CBD oil and a thinning agent. The most common thinning agents used in CBD vape oil is vegetable glycerin or propylene glycol.
For this reason, the potential health benefits of vaping CBD oil are in jeopardy. It is recommended to avoid the inhalation of propylene glycol because it becomes carcinogenic when heated.
What is a CBD Vape Pen or Battery?
CBD vape oil will come in a small cartridge, but you cannot do anything with the cartridge without a battery, also known as a vape pen, to turn the oil into inhale-able vapor. A vape pen is a small battery powered device that heats the CBD oil liquid into an inhalable vapor.
There are hundreds of thousands of pens, atomizers, portable devices, e-cigarettes, and even tabletop models that plug into the wall. All of these devices work by heating an electric coil.
When the plant oils reach a certain temperature, they turn into vapor which is in turn, drawn into the lungs and then exhaled. The heating process will decarboxylate CBD-A or THC-A into CBD and THC.
Many vape pens are designed specifically for CBD consumption. Cheap vape pens tend to have fixed temperatures that are high enough to hit over 350+degrees without combusting, while higher-end and more expensive vape pens allow for temperature or voltage control.
A higher-end vape pen with temperature and voltage control is ideal because all cannabinoids activate at different temperatures. THC and CBD can be activated at lower temperatures, while CBG & CBN requires higher temperatures. There is also a noticeable quality difference.
Where to Buy a Vape Pen
eGo Battery $4.99 – The eGo-t battery differs from competing models, sporting the following improvements:
•An improved manual button
•Higher quality battery
•More aesthetically pleasing design
•Battery lasts 30% longer than normal same capacity battery
Before You Buy CBD Vape Products
It is likely that you have seen many CBD vape oil products on the market, but there are important factors to take into consideration before purchasing one.
While I always encourage my clients to make educated, safe CBD product decisions, I believe it is EVEN MORE important when choosing the best CBD vape oil on the market.
For a product that is going to be inhaled into the lungs – it is critical that you are 100% sure the product you are using is safely manufactured and free from potentially harmful added ingredients like propylene glycol.
These days there is a CBD vape shop on every corner – but that does not mean the products they are selling are automatically safe.
There is still no regulation or safety standard for CBD products on the market today, and oftentimes the person working the counter has limited knowledge about important safety considerations.
Many CBD vape oils come in a variety of flavors, but I encourage my clients to avoid these products. When using CBD oil for therapeutic health purposes, there is no room for artificial flavorings or ingredients.
Where to Buy CBD Vape Oil
If a client comes to me and wants to buy CBD vape oil, I always recommend a pure CBD vape oil with no additional ingredients. This can be difficult to find and requires close label and ingredient inspection.
Of course, trusting a label on a product is not enough. Ideally, you would want to research the company and verify their 3rd party laboratory testing results before purchasing.
This is time-consuming and not always possible when shopping in a busy store. Thankfully, I have done some research for you and found a product that meets my safety and quality standards.
VivaVape CBD Vape Oil Recommendations
VivaVape is formulated with pure high-quality CBD.
Terpenes are added to help keep the CBD oil liquid enough to facilitate vaping.
Myrcene and limonene are two of the terpenes naturally produced by the hemp plant and are found in all VivaOil products – research indicates that they hold a myriad of beneficial properties.
VivaVape Cartridge – 500mg Broad Spectrum
- THC Free – Zero High
- Propylene Glycol (PG) and Vegetable Glycol (VG) Free – A Healthy Alternative
- 100% Natural
Vaporized CBD oil is smoke-free and easily absorbed by the body to ensure fast-acting relief. Our 500mg disposable VivaVape Cartridge is designed to be a quick and effective way to administer your CBD.
Ingredients: Coconut MCT Oil, Full Spectrum CBD Hemp Oil, Terpenes
Colorado-grown, USA made
- CBD Vape Oil Cartridge
- CBD Vape Oil Pen/Battery/Vaporizer
- CBD Vape Battery Charger
- Choose a high-quality CBD Vape Oil from a trusted and reputable brand. Check the ingredients label to ensure no vegetable glycerin, propylene glycol, or other additional ingredients added.
- Choose a high-quality CBD Vape Pen/Battery. Refer to the 'Where to Get a CBD Pen' section of this article for product recommendations. Ensure this battery is charged before starting.
- Carefully connect the CBD vape cartridge to the battery pen.
- Your CBD vaporizer is now ready to use. There will be directions on the back of your specific battery to tell you how to use the pen. Many involve the pushing of the button 5 times to pre-heat, followed by a steady holding of the button while a drag from the device is inhaled.
- When you are done using your vaporizer, be sure to charge it before using again. The pen/battery your purchased should have come with a compatible USB charger.
- Connect the USB charger to a wall connector and charge overnight.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Welcome! I’m Emily Kyle, a nationally recognized media registered dietitian nutritionist & holistic cannabis practitioner providing holistic health care for those living with autoimmune and inflammatory conditions. To help you, I offer food sensitivity testing, cannabis education, and this blog which provides free resources including anti-inflammatory recipes, holistic health, wellness and nutrition related articles, and evidence-based cannabis education.