It's summertime, and let's face it, summer isn't complete without ice cream! But, what's even better than plain ol' vanilla ice cream? Cannabis-infused ice cream! That's right, this sweet, creamy, and delicious dessert became 20 times better... I know; I didn't think it was possible either. Keep reading for the full recipe!
- Super simple to make! Just mix and freeze.
- Perfect sweet and creamy dessert for summer.
- Just 5 simple ingredients and an ice cream maker are needed.
- It pairs well with other cannabis-infused edibles like chunks of cannabis brownies or cookies!
- Dietary features: gluten-free, nut-free.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
This homemade cannabis-infused vanilla ice cream recipe is the perfect sweet and delicious summertime treat!
This recipe is easy yet versatile, so you can really get creative with it. Once you get the process down, you can experiment with different flavors and fun additions, like M&M's!
My Well With Cannabis Community Members have been screaming for this ice cream recipe - that's why I created it.
In this guide, you'll find my yummy cannabis-infused ice cream recipe that will leave you screaming for it all summer long, expert tips and tricks for the yummiest ice cream of all time, and a ton of fully answered FAQ's!
Stock Your Canna Kitchen
- Cannabis milk: Click here to get my cannabis milk recipe to make your own before getting started with this recipe. Or choose an alternate infusion option below.
- White granulated sugar: This is the best sugar to use for this recipe as it readily dissolves into the other ingredients. However, you can also use cannabis-infused sugar for an alternative, or double, infusion option!
- Kosher salt: A little bit of salt goes a long way in this recipe and will bring out the true sweetness of the sugar and cream.
- Heavy cream: This heavy cream infused with cannabis is what infuses the sweet ice cream with all the cannabis glory! An essential ingredient for a thick and creamy ice cream, but we include alternative options below if you want a lighter option.
- Vanilla extract: This will enhance the sweetness of the ice cream while adding the vanilla flavor we all know and love. Alternatively, you can use a real vanilla bean, if desired.
Note: a complete list of ingredients with amounts and printable instructions is located in the recipe card below.
The Step-by-Step Process
- Step 1 - Start with a clean, 32-ounce mason jar.
- Step 2 - Add the cannabis milk, sugar, and salt.
- Step 3 - Cover and shake gently until the sugar is dissolved.
- Step 4 - Add the heavy cream and vanilla to the jar.
- Step 5 - Cover and shake. Place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Step 6 - Set up your ice cream maker per operating instructions.
- Step 7 - Pour the milk mixture into an already running ice cream machine.
- Step 8 - Allow the mixture to run through the machine for 15-20 minutes.
- Step 9 - After 15-20 minutes it should resemble a loose soft-serve consistency.
- Step 10 - Transfer ice cream to a 1 ½ quart, airtight, freezer container.
- Step 11 - Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours to firm up.
- Step 12 - Enjoy!
Note: complete step-by-step printable instructions are located in the recipe card below.
This recipe doesn't last longer than a few days in my house, but you can store it for up to one month in the freezer.
Alternate Cannabis Infusion Options
As with all things edibles, there is more than one way to infuse something.
With this recipe, there are three opportunities to include a cannabis-infused option.
You choose which one you want to use, or you could use two or three options to make for an extra potent batch.
Milk - You can use cannabis-infused milk or regular milk here.
Sugar - You can use cannabis-infused sugar or regular white, granulated sugar here.
Heavy Cream - You can use cannabis-infused cream or regular cream here. This is my favorite way to infuse this recipe because the higher fat content helps the cream absorb more cannabinoids.
Notes and Expert Tips
- Make sure the freezer bowl to your ice cream maker has been frozen for at least 24 hours, if using such design! There's nothing more disappointing than being ready to make ice cream, only to find out you have to wait.
- If you are crunched for time I recommend making this recipe in the evening, that way you can enjoy it any time the next day!
- Lower fat cream such as half and half can be substituted as well as lower fat milk, this can have an effect on consistency and mouth feel as the higher fat content with produce a richer and creamier end product. If substituting, use equal volumes for the substitute ingredient.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cannabis ice cream can be brand new to even the most seasoned cannabis consumer, so here are some of the most common FAQs I get asked about cannabis ice cream from my Well With Cannabis Community members:
If you already have your ice cream maker bowl frozen, it only takes 5 minutes to prep and 20 minutes to make the recipe, but then the freezing takes a few hours, we recommend a minimum of 2.
It's easiest with a machine, and I would recommend making it this way. This is the one I use. However, with more time involved, it can be made without one.
Instead of milk you can use almond milk, coconut milk, or any plant-based milk alternative. And, instead of the heavy cream, you can use full-fat coconut milk. However, it's important to note that these different milks will lend a less creamy final texture.
Of course! Feel free to use mint, coconut, raspberry, chocolate, or any other flavor instead.
Want To Make This Easier? Use A Machine!
Want A Discount Code?
More Sweet Recipes You Will Love
My Edibles Made Easy Online Cooking Course will teach you how to easily make cannabis edibles and topical recipes at home. This step-by-step video course will teach you how to infuse, extract, and create edibles with many different product types - all from the comfort of your own home.
Learn more and enroll today →
Creamy Cannabis Vanilla Ice Cream
- Start with a clean 32-ounce mason jar. Add the cannabis milk, sugar, and salt. Cover and gently shake until sugar is dissolved.
- Add the heavy cream and vanilla to the jar. Cover and gently shake to incorporate.
- Place the jar in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours; overnight is fine.
- Set up your ice cream maker per operating instructions. If you are using a unit with a removable freezer bowl, make sure it has been frozen for at least 24 hours in advance.
- Pour the milk mixture into an already running ice cream machine (or according to your machines specific directions.) Mix until thickened, about 15-20 minutes. It should resemble a loose soft-serve consistency.
- Transfer ice cream to a 1 ½ quart, airtight, freezer container.
- Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours to firm up before enjoying.
- Ensure the freezer bowl has been frozen for at least 24 hours if your ice cream maker requires it.
- You can substitute lower fat cream such as half-and-half for the heavy cream and lower-fat milk for the whole milk, but this can affect consistency and mouthfeel. The higher fat content will produce a richer and creamier end product. If substituting, use equal volumes for the substituted ingredient.