Unleash your candy-addicted inner child with this ooey, gooey, and chewy cannabis rice krispie treat recipe that's ready in just 20 minutes. Get all the nostalgia from your favorite childhood treat with the benefits of cannabis here. Are you ready? Keep reading!
- Made in only 20 minutes.
- Just 4 simple ingredients needed.
- No baking required! Just melt, mix, and enjoy.
- The perfect chewy, gooey, and sweet treat for any time of the year.
- Stores well without refrigeration so they can be made in advance.
- Dietary Features: gluten-free if GF cereal is used and can be dairy-free if coconut oil is used.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
This classic childhood sweet and chewy treat will give you all the nostalgia from your childhood with all the benefits of cannabis.
These sweet treats are so popular and effective that my Well With Cannabis Community continues to rave about them!
In this post, we will explore how to make these delectable treats, review alternate cannabis infusion options, as well as provide some expert tips so that your treats turn out perfect every time.
Stock Your Canna Kitchen
Skip the hard work and have perfectly dosed, delicious, pure Bliss Cannabutter delivered directly to your door! Shop Now →
- Cannabutter: Cannabutter is the perfect option for this recipe, but you can opt for cannabis-infused coconut oil, too. If you don't have these already made, prepare them first.
- Marshmallows: mini-or large, it doesn't matter, just make they're fresh for the best results!
- Rice Krispies Cereal: Rice Krispies are the classic staple of this recipe, but the truth is you can use any cereal that you want. Just stick with using 6 cups as called for in the recipe.
Here are some popular cereal options I've seen my community members make these treats with:
- Cocoa Pebbles
- Fruity Pebbles
- Lucky Charms
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch
- Reeses Puffs
Note: a complete list of ingredients with amounts and printable instructions is located in the recipe card below.
The Step-by-Step Process
- Step 1 - Add cannabutter to a large pot.
- Step 2 - Melt cannabutter.
- Step 3 - Add fresh marshmallows to the pot.
- Step 4 - Melt marshmallows and stir.
- Step 5 - Add vanilla extract.
- Step 6 - Add cereal of choice.
- Step 7 - Mix everything together.
- Step 8 - Transfer to an 8x8" pan and flatten out mixture with spatula.
- Step 9 - Let cool at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
- Step 10 - Cut rice crispy treats.
- Step 11 - Serve treats.
- Step 12 - Enjoy!
Note: complete step-by-step printable instructions are located in the recipe card below.
You can store your treats in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to a week. You can also store the rice crispy treats in a sealed container in the fridge, where they will last up to two weeks, or store them in a freezer-safe bag for several weeks or months in the freezer. Learn more about how to store edibles here.
Alternate Cannabis Infusion Options
As with all things edibles, there is more than one way to infuse something. Below we will explore all of the different ways you could infuse this recipe.
Infuse With Concentrates
You don't *need* to use traditional cannabutter for this recipe; you can use cannabis concentrates instead.
Simply mix your concentrate of choice, like distillate or FECO, into 6 tablespoons of warmed, regular, unsalted butter. Then follow the recipe as is.
Using concentrates this way can help make a super potent cannabis rice krispy treat and help eliminate some of the cannabis taste.
While it wouldn't be my first choice, you can infuse these rice krispy treats with just plain decarbed flower, trim, or kief if you wish.
Review my guides for full instructions here:
Notes and Expert Tips
- Use all things silicone, if you can. The marshmallow mixture is STICKY! Silicone baking pans and spatulas are your friends
- Cool the mixture at room temperature for up to 1 hour before cutting to yield the best results
- Make sure you follow the storage instructions and remember it's best to place this recipe away from sunlight
- Be careful how much THC you add per serving, and always dose according to your needs
How to Determine The Dosing
Want to get a more accurate guesstimate of the potency of your cannabis infusions and extractions? Try our popular edibles calculator!
Not sure what your perfect dose is? Learn more here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cannabis rice crispy treats can be brand new to even the most seasoned cannabis consumer, so here are some of the most common FAQs I get asked about this recipe from my Well With Cannabis Community.
Yes! Any cereal can be used in this recipe. See the recommended alternatives in the Ingredients Notes section above.
No, this recipe is best when fresh marshmallows are used.
Just swap cannabis coconut oil for cannabutter.
Super easy! All you have to do is replace the marshmallows with vegan marshmallows and the cannabutter for cannabis coconut oil.
You can use CBD flower to make CBD butter or oil or replace some of the butter called for with store-bought CBD oil.
Join thousands of like-minded cannabis lovers from across the world inside a censor-free forum where you can explore the health benefits of cannabis and truly learn what it means to live Well With Cannabis →
More Sweet Recipes You Will Love
My Edibles Made Easy Online Cooking Course will teach you how to easily make cannabis edibles and topical recipes at home. This step-by-step video course will teach you how to infuse, extract, and create edibles with many different product types - all from the comfort of your own home.
Learn more and enroll today →
Easy Cannabis Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 tablespoons cannabutter or cannabis coconut oil
- 10 ounces mini-marshmallows (about 5 cups)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 cups cereal of choice rice krispies, cocoa pebbles, fruity pebbles
- An 8x8" silicone baking pan is ideal for this recipe. If you don't have one, line the bottom of a regular 8x8" baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add the cannabutter or coconut oil to a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Warm for 2-3 minutes, or until completely melted.
- Add the marshmallows, stirring consistently with a silicone spatula, until they are completely melted.
- Turn the heat off and stir in the vanilla extract and salt.
- Stir in the cereal. Continue to stir until all of the cereal is well coated with the marshmallow mix.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared 8x8" pan. Use the spatula to press down the mixture into the pan, creating a nice, even layer.
- If you plan on adding any fun toppings like sprinkles or M&M's, add them now.
- Allow the mixture to sit and cool for at least 1 hour before cutting.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 9 pieces.
- Remove from the baking pan and enjoy immediately or store in an air-tight container.
- Use all things silicone, if you can. The marshmallow mixture is STICKY! Silicone baking pans and spatulas are your friends.
- Cool the mixture at room temperature for up to 1 hour before cutting to yield the best results.
- You can store your treats in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to a week. You can also store the rice crispy treats in a sealed container in the fridge where they will last up to two weeks, or store them in a freezer-safe bag for up to 6 weeks or more in the freezer.
I note that this recipe has 2X as much cannabutter (6 TBSP) for 6 cups of rice krispies as the original Kelloggs recipe, which calls for only 3 TBSP of butter. Won't this make the cannabutter version quite greasy compared with regular RC squares?
Hi Joe, no, I did not find this version of the recipe to be any more greasy than the traditional recipe 🙂
I want to use shredder wheat, do I use 6 cups crushed, or equal to ,6 cups crushed
Hello Ms. L, I haven't tried this recipe with shredded wheat, but I would probably use 6 cups crushed 🙂 Let us know how it turns out for you!
I'm confused with what your measurements are for the marshmallows. 10 ounces doesn't equal 5 cups. 10 ounces is about 1.25 cups not 5 cups. Can you please clarify? Thank you!
Renée from Team EKN
Hi Heather. Using the Jet-Puffed Mini Marshmallows, a 10oz bag is roughly 420 mini marshmallows that total to about 6 cups. I hope this helps!