Could this simple, 3-ingredient CBD dog treat recipe help your favorite furry friend see relief from pain, anxiety, and inflammation? Get my no-bake recipe with step-by-step instructions and five important things you should know before using CBD with your furry best friend.
- A simple recipe, just 3 natural ingredients needed
- Dosing instructions for pets and CBD products
- Reasons why you should use CBD but avoid THC
Why You Will Love This Recipe
More and more people are discovering the benefits of CBD dog treats for their canine companions.
While plenty of CBD pet products and store-bought treats are available, a member of my Well With Cannabis Community requested this recipe so she could make her own homemade CBD dog treats.
Not only will you have complete control over the healthy ingredients used, but you will also have complete control over the dosage of CBD oil.
In this guide, you will find my simple 3-ingredient recipe for homemade dog treats and learn more about the benefits of CBD for dogs.
Buy Cannabutter Online
Skip the hard work and have perfectly dosed, delicious, pure Bliss Cannabutter delivered directly to your door! Shop Now →
- CBD oil - The most important part of these CBD oil treats. Choose your concentration, 500mg is perfect for beginners, and 1000mg is perfect for those who need a higher dose
- Carrier oil - fill the rest of the space with any oil you and your dog prefer, like coconut oil, hemp seed oil, or avocado oil
- Nut or seed butter - your choice based on your dog's preference! Almond butter, creamy peanut butter, or even hemp seed butter are perfect to use in this tasty treat
Note: a complete list of ingredients with amounts and printable instructions is located in the recipe card below.
- Step 1 - Prepare your work area by placing parchment paper or your silicone molds on cookie sheets. Putting the trays on top of a baking sheet first will make it easier to transfer them to the freezer. Set aside.
- Step 2 - Place the CBD oil, carrier oil, and nut or seed butter in a medium saucepan and set over medium heat.
- Step 3 - Allow the nut butter and oil to soften. Stir until the mixture is completely combined.
- Step 4 - Turn off the heat and pour the mixture into silicone dog treat molds or ice cube trays and refrigerate or freeze until they are set, approximately 2-4 hours.
- Step 5 - Count the number of CBD dog treats you have made. This will help you calculate the final dose.
- Step 6 - When set, pop- the CBD snacks from their molds and give your doggy a taste!
Note: complete step-by-step printable instructions are located in the recipe card below.
Store these tasty CBD treats in an airtight container in the refrigerator. As a general rule of thumb, they should be good for up to 14 days.
If you don't plan on using them all, you can store them in the freezer.
Learn more about how to store edibles here.
Pet CBD oil can work wonders for pets and pet parents alike, but it is important to know that dogs are extremely sensitive to THC.
THC is the cannabinoid responsible for the psychoactive effects commonly associated with cannabis consumption.
A small amount, less than 0.3% THC found in full-spectrum products is OK, but more can make your dog uncomfortable.
High doses of THC can be dangerous for a dog, so be sure to skip it in any CBD pet treats.
Alternative Infusion Options
There are many different ways to infuse these CBD dog treats.
It is best to choose based on what you have on hand already.
Here are the most popular ways to enjoy active ingredients.
If you have available, it is the perfect addition to this recipe.
It is nearly tasteless but contains a higher concentration of CBD, meaning it's a great way to increase the potency if needed.
Sourced from hemp plants and CBD flowers containing less than 0.3% THC is perfect for making your homemade infusion.
It is easy to make CBD oil or CBD butter that can then be used in your own treats. Just don't forget to decarb your CBD flower.
Plus, your dog will reap the additional benefits of a full-spectrum experience.
You can find many different strains of CBD flower in my shop.
Notes & Expert Tips
- If you don't have time to make your own CBD oil dog treats, you can simply add CBD oil to your pet's food
- You don't need a special CBD oil for pets. Any CBD oil that is OK for human consumption is OK to use to make your own CBD dog treats
- If you don't have a silicone mold, you can use a cookie cutter to make the shapes you are looking for
- Feel free to experiment by adding extra ingredients like sweet potatoes blended in a food processor or coconut flour to these no-bake treats
CBD Dosage for Dogs
Just like humans, there is no one best CBD dosage for dogs.
Like people, dogs have their own individual endocannabinoid systems that have unique reactions to CBD.
The best way to get started is to start with a low dose, 5 milligrams of CBD, and increase the dose slowly over time, as needed.
CBD can also be dosed based on your dog’s weight.
Check the pounds of your pet and the associated serving size below.
This is based on a 500mg bottle of CBD oil that provides 16.6mg of CBD per 1 milliliter of CBD oil.
CBD Dose for Dogs Based on Weight & Suggested Serving Size:
- 26-50lbs – 0.25ml - ¼ full dropper = 4.15mg of CBD
- 51-75lbs – 0.5ml - ½ full dropper = 8.3mg of CBD
- 76-100lbs – 0.75ml - ¾ full dropper = 12.45mg of CBD
- 101-150lbs – 1ml - 1 full dropper = 16.6mg of CBD
- >150lbs – 1.25ml - 1 ¼ full droppers = 20.75mg of CBD
Again, it's always best to test small amounts and low mg of CBD oil as you get started. Mild side effects may include fatigue and digestive discomfort.
Benefits of Using CBD Oil for Dogs
More and more people are turning to CBD, a natural supplement, and have seen positive benefits from the effects of CBD.
Like humans, dogs and cats have an endocannabinoid system (ECS), meaning that their bodies are receptive to the health benefits associated with cannabis, too.
While research for cannabis alone is lacking, there is some early preliminary evidence to support the idea that CBD can indeed be helpful for dogs.
One study that specifically studied the safety of the use of CBD hemp oil on dogs and cats found that “in healthy dogs and cats, an oral CBD-rich hemp supplement administered every 12 hours was not detrimental based on CBC or biochemistry values"1.
Anecdotally, pet owners have reported that CBD has helped manage their dogs:
- chronic pain
- joint pain and joint health
- separation anxiety
- small dog's anxiety
- skin problems
- other health conditions or health issues
Scientific data is lacking to prove the efficacy of using CBD for seizures or anxiety in dogs, and all evidence currently remains anecdotal,
The great news is that “the AKC Canine Health Foundation is sponsoring a study, through the Colorado State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, that will evaluate the use of CBD in treatment-resistant epileptic dogs"2.
This is promising and shows that there is great potential for the use of CBD in dogs.
This is reassuring for pet owners who want to ensure they are not doing more harm than good by starting a new CBD routine with their pet.
Of course, it is always recommended that you reach out to your veterinarian before starting any CBD supplement routine.
Frequently Asked Questions
VivaPets Almond Butter is also available in a 500mg concentration, providing twice as much CBD per serving. Click here to purchase VivaPets 500mg Almond Butter here.
This site does not offer medical advice, and it always a good idea to reach out consult with your veterinarian before starting a new product with your pet, especially if you plan on using it for medicinal purposes.
We hope that this article helps you make an educated decision about how to use CBD with your dog and what dosage to start with.
If you're feeling like CBD could be right for you and your fur-baby, I hope you love this simple dog treat recipe.
3-Ingredient CBD Dog Treats
- 1 cup coconut oil or carrier oil of choice
- 1 cup nut or seed of choice
- 30 mL CBD oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon optional
- Prepare your work area by placing parchment paper or your silicone molds on cookie sheets. Putting the trays on top of a baking sheet first will make it easier to transfer to freezer. Set aside.
- Place the oil and nut butter in a medium saucepan and set over medium heat. Stir until it is fully liquid.
- Add in the CBD oil and stir well. Continue to stir until mixture is completely combined.
- Remove from heat and pour into silicone dog treat molds or ice cube and refrigerate or freeze until they are set, approximately 2-4 hours.
- Pop-out the moldings and give your doggy a taste! Store them in an air sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 14 days.
Ask a Question or Leave a Comment: