Are you excited to make your own CBD gummies at home? Discover how easy it is to make CBD gummies with tincture, oil, concentrates, or even flower with these simple step-by-step instructions and tips and tricks for getting the CBD dosage right.
Table of Contents
- Article Features
- Why You Will Love This Recipe
- What You’ll Need
- Step-by-Step Instructions
- Storage Instructions
- Alternate Cannabis Infusion Options
- Quality Ingredients
- Notes and Expert Tips
- How to Dose
- Easy Homemade CBD Gummies Recipe
- Frequently Asked Questions
- More CBD Recipes You Will Love
- A tried and true CBD gummy recipe with over 300+ positive reviews
- Tips to customize your own CBD gummies recipe with multiple infusion options
- Want to skip all of the work? Buy my best-selling CBD gummies and have them delivered directly to your door!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
These homemade CBD gummies are one of the most delicious ways to enjoy the health benefits of CBD.
It is easy to make, and you can customize this recipe with your favorite flavors.
Members of my Well With Cannabis Community have said these are the best CBD gummies to make at home, and I hope you think so, too!
Here you will find my simple recipe, step-by-step instructions, and tips for using a tincture, oil, concentrates, and even CBD flower.
What You’ll Need
- 1 cup puréed fruit – Simply place fresh or thawed fruit in a blender and blend until smooth
- 1 cup water or fruit juice – You can decide what you want to use here. Fruit juice will add more flavor, but it also has the opportunity to mold faster.
- ¼ cup unflavored gelatin – this can be Knox gelatin packs or
- ½ teaspoon lecithin – Lecithin is a binder to keep the oil and water together. You can use liquid, granulated, or powdered form. If you skip this ingredient, your gummy’s will separate and weep oil
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice – or ¼ teaspoon of alternative mold inhibitors like Lorann mold inhibitor or potassium sorbate
- 30mL CBD oil – Buy high-quality CBD oil from my shop or find many alternative infusion options below
- 10 drops flavoring oil – this is optional but a great choice if you want to enhance the flavor of the gummies. You can buy the flavoring oils on Amazon.
- 1 box flavored gelatin – a 3oz box of flavored gelatin is optional, but it will enhance both the color and flavor of the gummy
- Silicone molds – you can get gummy bears, cannabis leaves, or anything you want. Remember that the size of the gummy well will impact your final serving size.
Note: a complete list of ingredients with amounts and printable instructions is located in the recipe card below.
- Step 1 – Prep your work area and measure out your ingredients. Place the silicone molds on a baking sheet so it is easier to transfer them later. If you haven’t already, puree your fruit of choice in a small food processor or blender until smooth. Set aside.
- Step 2 – Add the water or juice to a small saucepan over no heat.
- Step 3 – Evenly sprinkle the gelatin over the liquid. Set aside, do not stir, and allow it to stand or “bloom” for 2 minutes. The gelatin mixture will become thick.
- Step 4 – After standing and solidifying, place the saucepan over medium heat. Allow the mixture to warm and become liquified.
- Step 5 – Once liquid, gently stir the mixture until it reaches a temperature of 165°F. Turn off the heat.
- Step 6 – Pour the fruit purée into the liquid gelatin, and stir the mixture well until all ingredients are well combined.
- Step 7 – Add the lecithin, lemon juice, CBD oil or , and flavoring oils or flavored gelatin. Whisk well for 5 minutes.
- Step 8 – Using a small pipette, fill your mold with the gummy mixture.
- Step 9 – Place the molds in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Step 10 – Remove the molds from the refrigerator and count how many total gummies you have made. This will help you determine how many milligrams of CBD are in each gummy.
- Step 11 – Carefully pop the gummy candies out of the mold.
- Step 12 – Leave the gummies to air dry for 12-24 hours or store the gummies immediately in the refrigerator or freezer.
Note: complete step-by-step printable instructions are located in the recipe card below.
Air Drying Instructions
If you want to enjoy the gummies right away, they do not need to dry out on the counter or in a dehydrator, but many people prefer to air dry them for enhanced texture and less moisture.
To successfully air dry or cure the gummies, you first need to remove them from the molds.
Allow these gummies to dry at room temperature for at least 12-24 hours.
You should taste them frequently for the best results to find your perfect consistency.
Many people will drape a piece of cheesecloth over the gummies to prevent any contaminants from falling on them. If you do this, ensure you are using a breathable fabric.
If you have a food dehydrator available, you can place the gummies to speed up the process. However, this should only be done on a dehydrator that has a fan-only setting.
You do not want to dry with a dehydrator that introduces heat, which may cause them to melt.
Finally, some people prefer to lightly dust their air-dried gummies with a small amount of cornstarch to remove any last bits of moisture.
Once removed from the gummy molds, you can choose to air-dry these gummies or simply store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Using a mold inhibitor and air drying the CBD oil gummies is a great way to extend their shelf life.
Alternate Cannabis Infusion Options
There are many ways you can make your own CBD gummies at home.
The first step is deciding what product you have access to and your desired mg CBD gummies at the end.
Read on to discover all of the different ways you can make CBD gummies with just the right amount of CBD for you.
CBD oil is one of the most popular forms of CBD and is perfect for use in CBD edibles.
The easiest way to make CBD gummies at home is with high-quality CBD oil that you can purchase from my shop.
This is the key ingredient, so be sure to purchase a quality product you can be proud of.
Read the label, check the amount of CBD, and verify reset results for purity, pesticides, and heavy metals.
If you’re OK with a few mg of THC in your oil, a full-spectrum CBD oil is perfect for you.
The bit of THC will not mean these CBD gummies get you high, but it contributes to the entourage effect and enhances your overall experience.
You need to purchase a broad-spectrum product if you need zero percent THC. Use as many mg of broad-spectrum CBD as you need.
If you have a traditional alcohol-based tincture, you can also use that in this recipe.
Here are a few different tincture recipes to choose from:
Using cannabis concentrates makes it easy to infuse this recipe and make perfect gummies.
From or CO2 oil to shatter or wax, and FECO or RSO, all can work for this recipe.
Depending on your concentrate, you will want to ensure that your cannabis concentrate is decarbed first if needed.
If you are unsure if your cannabis concentrate needs to be decarbed, you can check this guide here.
How much you will add is up to you and your taste preferences; 1ml or 1 gram is a good place to start.
This option is great if you have a specific strain of CBD that you love and want to carry over into your oil.
It is the most control you will have over making your own hemp-derived CBD products at home.
The best part of these CBD gummies is the opportunity to have full control over the quality of the ingredients you use.
Making homemade gummies allows you to control everything, from the flavor and color to the dose and potency and your daily dose of CBD.
It also allows you to keep out unwanted ingredients like high fructose corn syrup and control how much sugar goes into the batch.
Notes and Expert Tips
- Fruit puree: Your fruit puree can be made from fresh, canned, frozen, or thawed fruit. Depending on the fruit, peel or remove any seeds first as desired. Place the fruit in a blender and blend until completely smooth. Avoid choosing the following fruits: pineapple, kiwi, ginger root, papaya, figs, or guava. These fruits contain an enzyme that will break down the gelatin protein structures and ruin the recipe. To make your customizable version with vegetables, use 1/2 fruit paired with 1/2 vegetable puree of your choice.
- Run a test batch first: If this is your first time making homemade gummies, I recommend you make one *non-infused* test batch before trying with your actual product to ensure you like the taste, consistency, and process.
- Mold inhibitors: I’ve used lemon juice as a natural preservative and mold inhibitor in this recipe. It does not lend a strong or noticeable flavor to the gummies. You can also use LorAnn Mold Inhibitor or potassium sorbate in place of the lemon juice.
- Customize the flavors: Want to make these edible gummies your own? You can mix and match different fruit flavors, flavored gelatin, and flavor drops to make your perfect CBD gummy.
- Sugar coating: I have not experimented with coating these DIY CBD gummies in sugar yet. Be cautious when using citric acid, and be sure to fully air dry the gummies before adding any of the following ingredients: organic cane sugar. white sugar, or citric acid.
How to Dose
Set your intention first; how many mg of CBD do you want to consume?
Do you want to eat the entire batch in one sitting, or do you want to take two a day as a supplement along with your daily multivitamin?
Your intention will help you decide how much CBD oil to add.
Also, remember that gummy molds have different shapes or sizes, resulting in different dosages per gummy.
What is the Right Dose?
The answer to the dosing question is not cut and dry and is not the same for everyone.
There are different concentrations of CBD oil and different situations for which various concentrations would be appropriate.
Thus, different dosages are required for different individuals.
It is always recommended to start low and go slow.
5-10mg of CBD at a time is a good start, and you can gradually increase it as needed.
How to Calculate The Final Dose
It will take a bit of math to determine how many CBD milligrams are in your final product.
This is because CBD oil can come in many different concentrations, and the mold wells are different sizes.
To estimate your final CBD gummies dose, you will need to know:
- How many milligrams (mg) of CBD are you are starting with?
- How many final gummies did you end up with?
The concentration, or total milligram per serving, will determine how potent your final product is.
You need to divide the concentration (total mg of CBD) by the total number of gummies you make.
For example, if your mold yielded 50 gummies, you will get:
- 16.6mg of CBD oil divided by 50 gummies = 0.33mg per gummy
- 500mg of divided by 50 gummies = 10mg per gummy
See the difference? Concentration matters.
The formula for determining the final dose of CBD per gummy: Total milligrams of CBD used divided by the final number of gummies produced = mg amount of CBD per gummy
Easy Homemade CBD Gummies
- If you haven't already, puree your fruit of choice in a small food processor or blender until smooth. Set aside. Prep your work area and measure out your ingredients. Place the silicone molds on a baking sheet so it is easier to transfer them later.
- In a small saucepan over no heat, add the water or juice.
- Evenly sprinkle the gelatin over the liquid. Do not stir, let this mixture sit, and allow it to "bloom" for 3-5 minutes. The mixture will be very thick at this point.
- After standing and solidifying, place the saucepan over medium heat. Allow the mixture to warm and become liquified.
- Once liquid, gently stir the mixture until it reaches a temperature of 165°F. Turn the heat to low.
- Pour the fruit purée into the liquid gelatin, and stir the mixture well until all ingredients are well combined.
- Add the lecithin, lemon juice, CBD oil or concentrate, and flavoring oils or flavored gelatin (if using).
- Whisk well for 5 minutes. This step is very important.
- Once whisked well, working quickly using a small pipette, fill your molds with the mixture.
- Place the molds in the refridgerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the molds from the refrigerator and count how many total gummies you have made. This will help you determine how many milligrams of CBD is in each gummy.
- Carefully pop the gummies out of the mold.
- Leave the gummies to air dry for 12-24 hours or store the gummies immediately in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Run a Test Batch First: As always, I recommend you make one *non-infused* test batch of gummies before trying with your actual product to ensure you like the taste, consistency, and process.
- Using Other Concentrates: If you are using other cannabis concentrates instead of distillate, check this guide first to see if the concentrate needs to be decarbed.
- Mold Inhibitors: In this recipe, I’ve used lemon juice as a natural preservative and mold inhibitor. It does not lend a strong or noticeable flavor to the gummies. You can also use LorAnn Mold Inhibitor or potassium sorbate in place of the lemon juice.
- A Word of Caution When Air Drying: Humidity will cause an issue of oil sweating if you are air-drying your gummies, especially if they are made with MCT oil. If it is humid where you live, you must air dry your gummies in the refrigerator where the temperature and humidity are better controlled. If you use a food dehydrator to dry your gummies, you must ensure it does not use heat. Any low-temperature dehydrators (~90°) will cause your gummies to melt.
Frequently Asked Questions
I haven’t had success with this method, but you can use a CBD alcohol tincture to infuse store-bought gummies with the instructions here.
While having a gummy bear mold may be cute and helpful, it is not necessary. You can make this recipe just about any container you have and cut it to the desired shape and size once the mixture is set.
I have not been successful in creating great vegan gummies yet, but I will update you here if I do.
You can easily freeze your gummies if you don’t plan on consuming them within two weeks. Freezing gummies does not alter the potency of the gummies and may even help preserve potency over time.
Are there side effects of eating CBD gummies?
In most cases, however, a higher dose may lead to dry mouth and fatigue for some people.
This site does not provide medical advice, so I always recommend getting your medical marijuana doctor’s advice before starting any new treatment, even this gummy bear recipe, especially if you are trying to treat a serious medical condition such as pain management or weaning off prescription medications. The good news? It’s very easy to get a medical marijuana card.