These easy to make, 4-ingredient healthy homemade CBD gummies are completely customizable and ready in just 45-minutes. Perfect for beginners, this post will also cover the health benefits and effects of consuming CBD gummies and other edibles.
What are CBD Gummies?
CBD, also known as cannabidiol, is a cannabinoid that is taking the wellness scene by storm, and for good reason. Many anecdotal and evidence-based theories have demonstrated the therapeutic value of CBD for anxiety, pain, and inflammation.
Consuming CBD gummies may help improve your physical and/or mental health by interacting with our body’s endocannabinoid system. The endocannabinoid system is supported by powerful anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective properties found within the cannabis plant.
CBD is not intoxicating, meaning it does not give the feeling of intoxication or ‘being high’. However, CBD still offers many other therapeutic health benefits which make them an ideal choice for many of my clients.
Edibles are a way of consuming CBD or other forms of cannabis in food. As the marketplace continues to grow, we continue to see CBD and cannabis put into just about every food possible, especially gummy candy.
Cannabis Edibles – Why CBD Gummies
You may have heard of edibles before. For many people, the thought of cannabis edibles conjures up stereotypical images. Just imagine a friend accidentally eating too much of a ‘special brownie’ and subsequently freaking out or passing out.
Thankfully with the rapid legalization of cannabis, talk of CBD or THC edibles has become much more educated, informed, and diverse. One of the most common and popular edible products on the market today are CBD or THC infused gummies.
Gummy bears were invented by a German factory worker in the 1920s. Over time, they have grown to become one of America’s favorite candies. As stated by Bon Appetit, gummy bears “surely have one of the most devoted followings of any candy in history” (2).
For the purpose of this post, we will only be talking about CBD infused gummies, not THC infused gummies, as recreational marijuana use is not yet legal here in New York.
However, the process will work the same no matter which type of cannabinoid-rich concentrate you prefer to use.
Using CBD Oil Gummies For Wellness
An individually designed cannabis regimen is an excellent addition to any holistic lifestyle, however, finding the perfect CBD regimen can be tricky. For the new cannabis user, CBD gummies are a great place to start.
These CBD gummies can be infused with either traditional CBD oil or a CBD concentrate. To learn more about the differences between these types of cannabis oil products, click here.
Consuming CBD orally has a different, less potent, effect on the body than if CBD were applied topically, sublingually, or inhaled or vaped. The average bioavailability rate of orally consumed CBD is approximately 6%
Given that the bioavailability of orally consumed CBD is only 6%, it may be necessary to take higher doses, or to increase the serving size, to observe any noticeable effects.
Frequently Asked CBD Gummy Questions
This is a question that depends on where you live. Many different states have different regulations on both CBD and THC containing products. Here in New York, purchasing any form of CBD edibles from a retailer is currently not legal. However, making your own CBD Gummies at home for your own consumption is not illegal. You should check with your local state, city or town for specific guidelines.
No, eating CBD Gummies will not get you high (if CBD hemp oil is the only cannabis extract being used). However, there is always the potential for cross-contamination or improper labeling due to the lack of regulation in the current marketplace. With that being said, full-spectrum CBD hemp oil does contain less than 0.3% THC. This means that you will be ingesting very small amounts of THC when consumed. While it is likely not enough to induce intoxicating effects, it may be enough to create a false-positive result on a drug test. For those individuals who need to ensure that no THC is consumed, it is recommended to use a broad-spectrum CBD hemp oil or concentrate. Broad-spectrum means that important plant metabolites stay intact, while the THC has been removed.
The answer is yes, you can get CBD gummies for sale. But the more important question is – are they safe? And is it legal? In many states, the answer appears to be no and no. Ensure you are purchasing your gummies from a licensed dispensary or medical marijuana program.
Why Homemade Edibles Are Better Than Store-Bought Edibles
Along with brownies and cookies, gummies and gummy bears seem to be one of the most popular edible choices on the market, especially for first-time consumers.
Unfortunately, I have noticed that many of the CBD or cannabis-infused products on the shelves are filled with ingredients that don’t support good health, including high fructose corn syrup, artificial food dyes, artificial sugar, or tons of unnecessary added sugar.
The clients I work with are managing their autoimmune diseases with diet and lifestyle changes, which means these products are not right for them. By making their own CBD gummies at home, they have more control over the ingredients they use, the quality of the ingredients, and their dosages.
What is the Right CBD Gummies Dosage?
Properly dosing CBD is the #1 question I continue to receive on Instagram, in email, or in real life. Everyone wants to know “How much CBD should I take?”
The answer to this question is not cut and dry and not the same for everyone. A starting CBD dosage should be made on a case-by-case basis for each individual, and it is always recommended to start low and go slow.
There are different concentrations of CBD oil and different situations for which various concentrations would be appropriate to be used. Thus, different dosages are required for different individuals.
Estimating Your Final Dose
Because there is some variability with this recipe, it will take a bit of math to determine how many milligrams of CBD are in your final product. This is because CBD oil can come in many different concentrations and the mold wells are all different sizes.
To estimate your final CBD gummies dose, you will need to know:
- What concentration of CBD oil or concentrate you are starting with?
- How many final gummies did you end up with?
This recipe calls for 1mL of CBD. Your concentration will determine how strong your final product is. For example:
- 1mL of a 500mg CBD oil tincture will provide 16.6mg of CBD
- 1mL of a 500mg CBD concentrate will provide 500mg of CBD
You will divide your concentration by the total number of gummies you make. For example, if your mold yielded 50 gummies, you will get:
- 16.6mg of CBD oil divided by 50 gummies = 0.33mg per gummy
- 500mg of CBD concentrate divided by 50 gummies = 10mg per gummy
See the difference? Concentration matters.
This is the formula for determining your final dose:
- Total milligrams of CBD used divided by the final number of gummies = amount of CBD per gummy
How to Make CBD Gummies At Home
Luckily, after weeks and weeks of testing, I have finally locked down a healthy homemade CBD-infused gummy recipe that I am happy with. This recipe tastes amazing, it can easily be customized, and all of the ingredients have a health-benefiting property.
Made with real fruits and/or real vegetables, these gummies have a vibrant color, a delicious taste, important vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and even dietary fiber – without anything artificial.
Important TOOLS TO MAKE EDIBLE CBD GUMMIES:
If you are like me, you might want to make your gummies RIGHT NOW, but there are a few things you’re going to need before you can make this recipe. You can certainly opt for alternatives, but to make these the right way, you’re going to need to order a few things first:
- Fresh Fruit or Frozen Fruit of choice
- CBD Oil or CBD Concentrate
- Unflavored Beef Gelatin Powder
- Silicone Molds
- Digital Read Thermometer
IMPORTANT TIPS FOR MAKING CBD GUMMIES:
- Set your intention first, how much CBD should you use? Do you want to eat the entire batch in one sitting or do you want to take two-a-day like a supplement along with your daily multivitamin??
- When using molds, do not use different shapes or sizes for a single batch. The different size wells in the molds will yield different concentrations of CBD per gummy, making accurate dosing difficult.
- When making your fruit puree, your fruit puree of choice can be either fresh or canned, or frozen and thawed. Depending on the fruit, peel or remove any seeds first as desired.
- Avoid choosing the following fruits: pineapple, kiwi, mango, ginger root, papaya, figs or guava. This is because these fruits contain an enzyme that will break down the gelatin protein structures and ruin the recipe.
- To make your own customizable version with vegetables, use 1/4 cup fruit paired with 1/4 vegetable puree of choice.
- While having a dedicated Gummy Bear mold may be cute and helpful, it is not necessary. You can make this recipe in just about any container that you have and cut it to the desired shape and size once the mixture is set.
- If you haven't already, puree your fruit of choice in a small food processor or with an immersion blender until smooth. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over no heat, add the filtered water. Evenly sprinkle the gelatin over the water. Set aside, do not stir, and allow it to stand for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, stir the gelatin mixture well and place over medium-low heat. The mixture will be very thick at this point.
- Consistently stir the mixture until it reaches a temperature of 165°F and has become liquified.
- Carefully pour the hot liquid into the bowl of fruit purée and stir well.
- Stir in 1mL of CBD and stir the mixture until all ingredients are well combined.
- Working quickly using a small pipette, fill your desired mold with the mixture.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove the molds from the refrigerator and count how many total gummies you have made. This will help you determine how many milligrams of CBD are in each gummy.
- Carefully pop the gummies out of the mold.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days or freezer for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 50 Serving Size: 1 gummy
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 10Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g