This customizable cannabis-infused fish en papillote recipe is a healthy, quick, easy weeknight meal that is versatile and delicious. Find step-by-step instructions to cook in either parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- The perfect healthy cannabis recipe made with oil
- Step-by-step instructions for making your own
- Why the heat does not destroy the cannabinoids
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Yes, cannabis edibles have come a long way from traditional brownies and cookies.
And every day, more and more members of my Well With Cannabis Community request more healthy and sugar-free edible recipes.
This baked fish recipe is the best of both worlds. Easily customizable, you can easily make this recipe with any fish and veggies you have on hand.
In this guide, you will find my favorite recipe, multiple different infusion options, and why it is OK to bake cannabis at higher temperatures.
Stock Your Canna Kitchen
Skip the hard work and have perfectly dosed, delicious, pure Bliss Cannabutter delivered directly to your door! Shop Now →
- Fresh lemon - seeds removed, cut into slices
- Celery leaves - loosely packed, the inner tender leaves are best
- Mushrooms - your choice; I love shiitake or portobello
- Carrots - matchsticks work best
- Scallions - green and white parts
- Garlic clove - thinly sliced or minced will do
- Parsley - stems removed
- Fresh cod - cod, halibut, haddock, your choice
- Salt - to taste
- Cannabis oil - find other infusion options in the alternate infusion option section below
- Stock - chicken or vegetable stock is best, water works in a pinch, and white wine is amazing here
- Fresh thyme
Note: a complete list of ingredients with amounts and printable instructions is located in the recipe card below.
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Tear a large piece of parchment paper. Fold the parchment paper in half to have a rectangle when folded. Then cut the parchment into a half oval, leaving the seam in place. Fold the large piece in half to make a rectangle if you use foil.
- Step 2 - Place the packets on the counter and open them like a book. Working on the right-side half, approximately 2 inches from the fold, center two lemon slices from top to bottom in each packet.
- Step 3 - Divide the celery leaves and place them on the lemons.
- Step 4 - Divide the mushrooms and place them on the celery.
- Step 5 - Divide the carrots, scallions, and garlic and place them on top of the mushrooms.
- Step 6 - Divide the parsley leaves and place them on the carrots.
- Step 7 - Lay a piece of fish on top of the vegetables and sprinkle each piece with kosher salt.
- Step 8 - Drizzle the stock, followed by the olive oil, over each piece of fish.
- Step 9 - Divide the thyme sprigs and place them whole directly on the fish. Then lay two more lemon slices on the side of each piece of fish so only half of the lemon is on the fish.
- Step 10 - Fold and seal your en papillote package using the directions below, specifically for parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Step 11 - Place packets on a baking sheet and place in a 400-degree oven, and cook for 12 minutes.
- Step 12 - Remove the packets from the oven and allow them to rest for 2-3 minutes before opening. Carefully open, as steam will escape. Ensure the thickest part fish filet has reached an internal temperature of 145°F. When ready, the fish should remain firm but flaky. Enjoy inside your packet and transfer to a serving dish.
Note: complete step-by-step printable instructions are located in the recipe card below.
This dish is best served fresh. However, it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Just remember never to microwave foil (or cannabis) to reheat.
If desired, you can prep all of the packets, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, and bake one at a time as needed.
Alternate Cannabis Infusion Options
As with all things edibles, there is more than one way to infuse something.
Here are all the different ways you could infuse this recipe:
- Different types of cannabis-infused oil, like olive oil or MCT oil
- Just decarbed cannabis or decarbed kief
- Cannabutter, CBD cannabutter, or kief cannabutter
The Easiest Way to Bake Fish
With only a few common ingredients and room for versatility, this is one of my all-time favorite meals.
It is healthy, delicious, and versatile, and the best part - there are no dishes and very little cleanup.
This fish en papillote recipe is naturally gluten-free, paleo, and AIP-friendly, but you can change the ingredients based on your diet.
Whitefish, like the cod used in this recipe, is mild, so it is easy to customize this en papillote packet to fit your dietary needs by swapping ingredients.
This method is one of the easiest and fastest ways to cook fish, even for people who don’t like to cook.
I hope this fish en papillote recipe becomes one of your no-fail, foolproof ways to cook an amazing dinner.
Notes & Expert Tips
We will use a French cooking method called en papillote to prepare this meal. En papillote means ‘in parchment’ or 'in the paper' in French.
The en papillote cooking method involves creating a small pouch with parchment paper. The ingredients are placed inside the pouch and then tightly sealed before baking.
When placed inside the oven, the papillote ingredients will bake while the added liquid will help them steam. This cooking method helps you get perfectly cooked, flaky fish.
With this magical little pouch, there are no dishes; you can even eat the entire meal right from your ‘papillote’ if you please.
Just be careful when opening up your packet after baking, as the steam can be extremely hot when it is released.
Baked Fish in Foil Packets
The en papillote cooking method traditionally uses parchment paper, but also aluminum foil works to make delicious baked fish in foil.
To prepare your ‘foil en papillote’ package, start with heavy-duty aluminum.
Always choose the heavy-duty foil, or you will run the risk of tearing your pouch, hindering the cooking process, and likely creating a huge mess.
To start, tear off a fairly large square of foil, approximately 18″. Fold it in half & and crease three of the edges multiple times, leaving just the top open.
You want to ensure that your creased edges are tightly sealed so no liquid can escape. Once your foil packet is ready you can begin to put in your ingredients.
Grilled Fish in Foil Packets
The en papillote cooking method traditionally uses parchment paper baked in the oven, but aluminum foil also makes grilled fish in foil.
To make grilled fish in foil, follow the same steps below to prepare your foil packet. Instead of preheating the oven, preheat your grill to high heat.
Place the foil packet onto the grill rack and cook for a shorter time; try 5 to 7 minutes before checking the internal temperature.
Frequently Asked Questions
Baking cannabis-infused fish can be brand new to even the most seasoned cannabis consumer, so here are some of the most common FAQs I get asked about this recipe from my Well With Cannabis Community.
The en papillote cooking method is versatile and works with a wide variety of fish, including cod, haddock, halibut, salmon, trout, flounder
The cooking time will depend on the thickness of the fish filet you’re starting with. The internal baked fish temperature should always reach at least 145°F.
En papillote is one of my favorite cooking methods, so I included a similar recipe in my first cookbook, The 30-Minute Thyroid Cookbook. This cookbook has a Paleo focus and includes many AIP diet recipes. I also included a version of this recipe in my second cookbook, The Hashimoto’s AIP Cookbook. This cookbook focuses exclusively on the autoimmune protocol diet.
Yes, you do not have to worry about ruining the THC in this recipe because the fish never gets hot enough. Learn more about safe baking temperatures here.
How to Determine The Dosing
Want to get a more accurate guesstimate of the potency of your cannabis infusions and extractions? Try our popular edibles calculator!
Not sure what your perfect dose is? Learn more here.
Join thousands of like-minded cannabis lovers from across the world inside a censor-free forum where you can explore the health benefits of cannabis and truly learn what it means to live Well With Cannabis →
More Cannabis Recipes You Will Love
My Edibles Made Easy Online Cooking Course will teach you how to easily make cannabis edibles and topical recipes at home. This step-by-step video course will teach you how to infuse, extract, and create edibles with many different product types - all from the comfort of your own home.
Learn more and enroll today →
Cannabis-Infused Fish en Papillote
- 2 parchment paper or aluminum foil you will need two 12x15" pieces
- 1 whole lemon seeds removed, cut into ⅛" slices, divided
- ½ cup celery leaves loosely packed , inner tender leaves preferred
- 1½ cups shiitake mushrooms stem removed, cut into ¼ inch strips
- ¼ cup matchstick carrots
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions green and white parts, approximately 2 whole
- 1 whole garlic clove thinly sliced
- ¼ cup parsley loosely packed , stems removed
- 8 ounces fresh cod cut into 2 pieces
- ⅛ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cannabis oil
- 2 tablespoons stock chicken or vegetable stock or water
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°F(204°C). Tear a large piece of parchment paper. Fold the parchment paper in half to have a rectangle when folded. Then cut the parchment into a half oval, leaving the seam in place. If you use foil, fold the large piece in half to make a rectangle.
- Place the packets on the counter and open them like a book. Working on the right-side half, approximately 2 inches from the fold, center two lemon slices from top to bottom in each packet.
- Divide the celery leaves and place them on top of the lemons.
- Divide the mushrooms and place them on top of the celery.
- Divide the carrots, scallions, and garlic and place them on top of the mushrooms.
- Divide the parsley leaves and place them on top of the carrots.
- Lay a piece of fish on top of the vegetables and sprinkle each piece with kosher salt.
- Drizzle the stock, followed by the olive oil, over each piece of fish.
- Divide the thyme sprigs and place them whole directly on top of the fish. Then lay two more lemon slices on the side of each piece of fish, so only half of the lemon is on the fish.
- Fold and seal your en papillote package using the directions below specific for parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Place the packets on a baking sheet and place in the oven and cook for 12-15 minutes. If using aluminum foil instead of parchment paper, add 2-3 minutes to the cooking time to ensure the fish is cooked through.
- Remove the packets from the oven and allow them to rest for 2-3 minutes before opening. Carefully open, as steam will escape. Make sure the thickest part fish filet has reached an internal temperature of 145°F(63°C).
- When ready, the fish should remain firm but flaky. Enjoy inside your packet transfer to a serving dish.
Ask a Question or Leave a Comment: