Cooking fish en papillote style is the easiest and most delicious, fool-proof way to cook fish perfectly – every single time.
The Easiest Way to Cook Fish!
If you’re looking for a quick and easy weeknight dinner, this recipe is for you! With only 7 ingredients, this is one of my all time favorite meals because it is healthy, delicious, versatile and the best part? Requires NO DISHES – no clean up!! You heard that right mom, no mess and no clean up!
When the theme for this months The Recipe Redux was announced, 7 Ingredient (or less) Recipes, I knew I had to share my favorite, go-to, easy weeknight dinner. My husband works nights so it is usually just my toddler, Ransom, and I for dinner, which is great in a lot of ways because I have no pressure to cook at all, and I can always pick what I want. But since I am just cooking for myself, I usually want what is easiest and fastest which has led me to my favorite, foolproof way to cook dinner, fish en papillote.Fish en Papillote - the easiest way to cooking #fish perfectly! #easydinner #healthy Click To Tweet
This recipe is a serving for one because I typically just make it for myself. If you want a serving for two, simply add another cod loin to your pouch. For three or more servings, make a second pouch. For this recipe, I used Wild Caught North Atlantic Cod Loin filet because I usually keep some in the freezer for a quick & healthy meal. Cod is a very mild, flaky white fish that is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, the GOOD FAT, and protein.
Fish en Papillote
Cooking Lesson: This meal uses a cooking method called En Papillote, French for ‘in parchment’. This method traditionally uses parchment paper but any medium will do, in this case we will be using aluminum foil. The En Papillote cooking method involves creating a small package in which the ingredients are held and sealed, while the liquid in the package will steam the food all while being baked in the oven. Because of this magical little pouch, there are no dishes! You can even eat the entire meal right from your ‘papillote’.
To prepare your En Papillote package grab some foil – I use heavy-duty Reynolds Wrap. Tear off a fairly large square, maybe 18″ or so, fold it in half & and crease the edges multiple times, leaving just the top open. You want to make sure that your creased edges are tightly sealed so that no liquid can escape. Once your foil packet is ready you can begin to put in your ingredients!
- 2 fish fillets, approximately 8 ounces total, thawed (I recommend cod, haddock or flounder)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 10 baby carrots, thinly sliced (or just buy the 'matchsticks')*
- 8 baby Bella mushrooms, thinly sliced*
- 1 bunch of asparagus, each spear halved
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of butter
- 1 lemon, juiced
- *You can use any vegetable you'd like for this recipe, it doesn't have to be carrots and mushrooms. I like to use whatever is about to go bad in the fridge, to minimize food waste!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare your foil packet.
- Tear off a large sheet of heavy duty foil and fold in half. Seal each edge multiple times on 3 sides, leaving 1 side open.
- To start, place your thawed fish fillet in the center of the foil packet with a dash of salt & pepper finished with some garlic. Be sure to add the juice from the thawed fish to the packet!
- Add the mushrooms and carrots or whatever veggie you choose.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil, butter, a half cup of water, and lemon juice to the packet.
- Once all of the ingredients are in, seal up the only open edge so that the packet is completely closed.
- Place your packet on a baking sheet and put in the oven for 25 minutes, or until the fish has reached an internal temperature of 145 degrees F.
- The fish should remain firm but flake easily with a fork.
- Enjoy your meal in the foil packet if you wish!
That’s it!! Enjoy your meal in the foil packet if you wish! No dishes, no clean up, just delicious & healthy dinner = win, win, win!!
I hope you enjoy this Fish en Papillote recipe as much as I do and be sure to let me know how you liked it in the comments section below!
P.S. Are you interested in learning more about plant-based eating? Do you want to get healthy & stay happy without ever having to diet again? Be sure to sign up below for your free 5 Day Plant-Based, No Added Sugar, Meal Plan to see exactly how delicious plant-based eating can be!
BEFORE YOU GO!
Subscribe to get your weekly dose of holistic wellness, health & happiness!
Latest posts by Emily Kyle (see all)
- Learning to Love Food Again - August 16, 2017
- Getting to Know NOW Foods - August 9, 2017
- Why You Need to Become Your Own Health & Wellness Advocate - August 7, 2017
- Raspberry Peach Summer Glow Smoothie - August 5, 2017
- The Importance of Creating a Self-Care Routine - August 1, 2017