Come see just how good the rainbow can taste with this vibrant, high protein, Rainbow Chicken Quinoa Salad that is naturally dairy and gluten-free!
Rainbow Chicken Quinoa Salad
Brighten up your salad with this vibrant rainbow chicken quinoa salad that is made with good-for-you ingredients like fruit, vegetables, quinoa and lean chicken. Together these ingredients will give you a powerful dose of phytonutrients; important compounds that help to act as protective antioxidants, natural detoxifiers and helpful immune boosters in our bodies.
The Recipe Redux
Each month I participate in The Recipe Redux monthly recipe challenge and this month our theme is intended to celebrate each other and to pay tribute to another food blogger who inspires us. This month I am celebrating Ms. Stephanie McKercher, MS, RDN of The Grateful Grazer. Steph is a fellow plant-based dietitian who is ALWAYS inspiring me with her thoughtful and honest posts on life, as well as her gorgeous food photography. While I am not 100% plant-based all the time, I find myself drawn to all of her unique and amazing vegan creations.
Her Rainbow Quinoa Salad is no exception. With summer in full swing, I want all the fruits & all the veggies, all at the same time. Steph brings them all together in this salad by combining fresh veggies with plant-based protein sources like quinoa and cannellini beans. What is most fantastic about her recipe is that she goes into full detail about the phytonutrients this tasty salad will provide, and most importantly she breaks down what exactly phytonutrients are and why they’re so darn good for us. Seriously, go read about them here!
Featured on Good Day Rochester
This recipe was featured on my Good Day Rochester News Segment titled Satisfying Summer Salads! Check it out 🙂
- ½ pound of chicken breast
- 1 cup of lemon vinaigrette, divided
- ½ cup of dry quinoa or 1.5 cups of prepared quinoa
- 1 can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups of kale, chopped
- 1 cup radicchio or red cabbage, chopped
- 10 brussels sprouts, shaved or sliced thin
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 nectarine, diced
- 1 plum, diced
- 1 cup of blueberries
- In a large ziplock bag, combine the chicken breast and ½ cup of the lemon vinaigrette. Let sit at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a foil lined baking sheet and add the chicken after it has marinated. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- If the quinoa is not yet cooked, bring 1 cup of water or vegetable broth to a boil. Add the rinsed quinoa and cook until the water absorbed, about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool.
- Remove the chicken after 30 minutes or when an internal temperature of 165 degrees is reached.
- Set the chicken aside to cool. Dice if desired.
- Wash and chop all of the fruit and vegetables.
- Combine the kale, radicchio or red cabbage and Brussels sprouts. Spread evenly in 4 bowls.
- Top each salad with bell pepper, plum, nectarine, and blueberries.
- Top with quinoa and chicken.
- Finish with the remaining lemon vinaigrette and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this rainbow quinoa chicken salad as much as I do, and be sure to check out all the amazing things that Steph has going on over at The Grateful Grazer!
P.S. Are you interested in learning more about plant-based eating? Do you want to get healthy & stay happy without ever having to diet again? Be sure to sign up below for your free 5 Day Plant-Based, No Added Sugar, Meal Plan to see exactly how delicious plant-based eating can be!
BEFORE YOU GO!
Subscribe to get your weekly dose of holistic wellness, health & happiness!
Latest posts by Emily Kyle (see all)
- Welcome to The Millennial Garden - April 10, 2017
- Pink Fresh Fruit Spring Rolls with Strawberry Mint Dip - April 6, 2017
- Balsamic Grilled Asparagus & Blackberries with Almonds - March 28, 2017
- Naturally Dyed Deviled Eggs - March 20, 2017
- Apple & Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal Cake - March 20, 2017