Easily made in just five minutes, this fresh Citrus Pear & Arugula Salad made with peppery arugula, mellow pears, and red peppers is the perfect easy side salad to accompany any meal.
Making Lunch Easy & Nutritious
One of the biggest misconceptions I encounter when working with my nutrition counseling clients is that they believe healthy eating needs to be difficult, complicated or time-consuming.
Taking the time to care for ourselves can quickly fall to the wayside when everything else life has planned gets in the way.
That is why I advocate for an 80/20 approach to your diet, allowing you to save time in the kitchen while helping you create a nutritious, balanced plate. This means more time for the things that matter most to you: family, exercise, or downtime to do something that you love.
This 80/20% approach is as simple as 1,2,3!
- Pick a frozen or chilled entrée that appeals to your taste and schedule – whether dining solo or feeding your entire family.
- Pair with a nutritious side dish full of fruits, vegetables, lean proteins! Remember: all forms fit, so lean on canned, frozen, dried fruits & veggies in the dreary winter month.
- Plate together & enjoy it!
- 1/2 pear, thinly sliced
- 1/4 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup arugula or sorrel blend
- 1 teaspoon aged Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon citrus vinaigrette
- Thinly slice your pear and red pepper.
- Gently toss sliced pears and red pepper with the arugula and Parmesan cheese.
- If preparing ahead of time, put this mixture in a sealable plastic container.
- Garnish with walnuts and additional Parmesan cheese as desired.
- Gently toss with the citrus vinaigrette right before consumption.
*The grocery store I shop at has an Arugula + Sorrel blend. Sorrel is a lemony flavored green, and if you get the chance to try some, it makes a great addition to this salad.
*Canned or fresh pears will work in this recipe. Canned pears are a great option if you can't find good fresh pears. Canned pears are available all year round and are easy to keep on hand in your pantry!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 salad
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 160Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 190mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 4gSugar: 13gProtein: 3g