With only four simple ingredients and 20 short minutes, this sweet and creamy cannabis buttercream frosting will enhance any cake, muffin, or pastry experience. Here you will find step-by-step pictures and many different infusion options.
- Just 4 simple ingredients needed
- Creamy mousse-like texture with a sweet vanilla flavor
- Dietary features: gluten-free, nut-free
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Just like any of my edible recipes, this creamy and sweet edible delight is out of this world good. I mean, it's simply impossible not to lick the spoon.
With the notes of vanilla and creamy smooth texture, you'll want to smother every dessert in this frosting. And, this is such a simple recipe to make.
My Well With Cannabis Community loves marijuana edibles and what screams edible like a sweet dessert?
In this post, you will find this cannabis buttercream frosting recipe, the best way to make it (all the expert tips), and a fully answered FAQ section so you can make this recipe perfect the first time.
Looking For More Support?
Join thousands of members inside my private Well With Cannabis Community to ask questions, find support, and share your edible creations!
- Cannabutter: This ingredient is what will infuse your cannabis frosting, but you can also use the alternative options listed below.
- Powdered sugar: Required to sweeten up the frosting in this edible recipe, try not to replace this with white sugar or brown sugar. You can, however, make cannabis powdered sugar.
- Vanilla extract: This is a great way to add flavor to your frosting recipe, but you're not limited to just vanilla. You can try coconut, almond, lemon, or raspberry extracts as well.
- Heavy whipping cream: This heavy cream will create the desired light and fluffy mixture.
- Food coloring (optional): I used green food coloring, but use any color you would like. Natural work here, too.
Note: a complete list of ingredients with amounts and printable instructions is located in the recipe card below.
- Step 1 - If you haven't already, prepare the cannabutter (or any other infusion option listed below).
- Step 2 - In a stand mixer (electric mixer or hand mixer with a whisk and a large mixing bowl), mix the sugar and butter.
- Step 3 - Mix on low speed until the sugar and butter are well blended.
- Step 4 - Increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
- Step 5 - Add the vanilla and the cream to the bowl and continue to beat on medium speed for one more minute, adding more cream if needed for an easier spreading consistency
- Step 6 - If using, add food coloring now and mix.
- Step 7 - Once your desired consistency is achieved, turn off the mixer.
- Step 8 - Use immediately or store if needed.
Note: complete step-by-step printable instructions are located in the recipe card below.
For the best outcome, try to use this frosting as soon as possible. However, if you have extra to store, you can store it in an air-tight bag or container for up to 3 days, but you will want to return the frosting to room temperature before attempting to frost anything.
Alternate Cannabis Infusion Options
As with all things edibles, there is more than one way to infuse something. Below we will explore all of the different ways you could infuse this recipe.
Cannabutter really is the star of this recipe. You can make it in the crockpot or Instant Pot. Cannabis coconut oil may work, but I haven't tried it myself to know for sure. I would not recommend using a liquid oil like MCT oil or vegetable oil here.
While we're only using a small amount in this recipe, you can use cannabis-infused heavy cream in this recipe.
You will not want to use an alcohol-based tincture in this recipe. If you have a Green or Golden dragon tincture that you want to use, be sure to evaporate all of the alcohol first until it reaches FECO consistency.
Notes and Expert Tips
- Use a stand or electric mixer for the best results
- Feel free to swap out the teaspoon of vanilla extract for other flavors like mint, coconut, almond, raspberry or orange
- To make a chocolate frosting, add a few teaspoons of cocoa powder
- For added fun, decorate your final product with a marijuana leaf or other decor
- Feel free to use this same method to create a cannabis-infused cream cheese frosting
Frequently Asked Questions
Cannabis buttercream frosting can be brand new to even the most seasoned cannabis consumer, so here are some of the most common FAQs I get asked about this recipe from my Well With Cannabis Community.
I would recommend using the cannabutter since the consistency may change if substituted with coconut oil. I have not personally tried it, but if you have found success, please let me know!
If the drug test, tests for THC in the cannabis plant then yes. Any cannabis edibles with THC will show up in a drug test. If you need to pass a drug test, try cooking with CBD flower instead.
It shouldn't! It is the terpenes and extraction method you have used that will have the biggest impact on the final taste.
How to Determine The Dosing
Want to get a more accurate guesstimate of the potency of your cannabis infusions and extractions? Try our popular edibles calculator!
Not sure what your perfect dose is? Learn more here.
Want To Make This Easier? Use A Machine!
Want A Discount Code?
More Cannabis Recipes You Will Love
My Edibles Made Easy Online Cooking Course will teach you how to make cannabis edibles and topical recipes at home with ease. This step-by-step video course will teach you how to infuse, extract, and create edibles with many different product types - all from the comfort of your own home.
Learn more and enroll today →
Cannabis Buttercream Frosting
- Stand Mixer
- If you haven't already prepare the cannabutter in a crockpot or instant pot.
- In a stand mixer with a whisk, mix together sugar and butter.
- Mix on low speed until well blended.
- Increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.
- If using, add food coloring now and mix.
- Once your desired consistency is achieved, turn off the mixer.
- Frost immediately or store in the refridgerator if needed.