These soft, buttery, melt-in-your-mouth cannabis sugar cookies are an easy, drop-style cookie that can be ready in just 30 minutes. This recipe includes options for infusing these cookies with cannabutter or coconut oil, cannabis sugar, concentrates, and more.
- No special ingredients or fancy equipment needed!
- Multiple different infusion options included
- A blank canvas for your favorite add-in's like M&M's, chocolate chips, candy bits and more
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Do you remember those big, soft, chewy sugar cookies from the kiosk in the mall?
These are just like that and can easily be customized to include your favorite add-ins like M&Ms.
They are so light and soft and chewy and delicious - truly one of my Well With Cannabis Community favorites.
Unlike classic cut-out cookies, these sugar cookies are a drop version, meaning these are super easy to make and ready quickly.
This post will review the many different ways you can infuse these cookies, share important tips and tricks, and answer all of your most frequently asked questions!
Buy Cannabutter Online
Skip the hard work and have perfectly dosed, delicious, pure Bliss Cannabutter delivered directly to your door! Shop Now →
- All-purpose flour: white, all-purpose, AP flour works best in this recipe
- Baking powder: don't confuse this for baking soda
- Salt: kosher salt or table salt works
- Sugar: I use white sugar in this recipe, but if you want, you could substitute cannabis sugar
- Cannabutter: Make this ahead of time. Start with my guide to making cannabutter in a crockpot or an Instant Pot. The cannabutter should be softened to room temperature for the best results. You can substitute cannabis coconut oil here, but it should be room temperature. You don't want to use melted butter; you want to be softened. Learn how to safely soften cannabutter here.
- Egg: for consistency
- Vanilla extract: for taste
- There are many different ways you can infuse this recipe. Find them under the Alternate Infusion Options section below.
Note: a complete list of ingredients with amounts and printable instructions is located in the recipe card below.
The Step-by-Step Process
- Step 1 - Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Step 2 - In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Step 3 - In a separate medium-sized bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Step 4 - Add the eggs and vanilla to the creamed butter and sugar.
- Step 5 - Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients while continuing to mix. Mix until a dough is formed.
- Step 6 - Create 1" dough balls and place them on the baking sheet.
- Step 7 - Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Step 8 – Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 1-2 minutes. Enjoy!
Note: complete step-by-step printable instructions are located in the recipe card below.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 7 days. These sugar cookies have the same shelf life as any other homemade cookie. Freeze after seven days to prevent spoilage. Additionally, storing these cookies in an air-tight container with a slice of bread will keep them soft and moist.
Alternative Infusion Options
As with all things edibles, there is more than one way to infuse something. Below we will explore all of the different ways you could infuse this recipe.
- Cannabutter or Coconut Oil: This is the most popular way to infuse. Choose between classic staple recipes essential for every kitchen: coconut oil or crockpot cannabutter, Instant pot cannabutter, or kief cannabutter. You can adjust the amount of cannabutter used alongside regular butter to control your dose if needed. Note: using liquid oils, like MCT oil or olive oil, may negatively affect the final product.
- Cannabis Sugar: You can make these cookies with cannabis-infused sugar if you have some on hand. Simply swap the infused sugar for white sugar.
- Both: You could also use both infused oil or butter and infused sugar for an extra potent batch of cookies.
- Concentrates and extracts: Easily make these cookies with concentrates like distillate or FECO. Just be sure to check if your concentrate needs to be decarbed first. Then, simply mix the concentrate with ½ cup of normal butter or organic coconut oil, and then prepare the recipe according to the instructions below with your butter mixture.
- Tincture: if you want to use an alcohol-based cannabis extract in this recipe, be sure to evaporate the alcohol and make FECO first.
- Decarbed Flower: While it's not my favorite way, you can add decarbed flower or decarbed kief right into this recipe and the flour mixture. Just be mindful of adding the right dose for you, especially if you are not a regular consumer of edibles.
Notes and Expert Tips
- Baking note: All ovens bake at different temperatures, and 10 minutes is an average baking time. Some ovens will bake quicker, so check your cookies for your desired doneness between 9-10 minutes. Bake time will also depend on the size of your dough balls. Small balls will bake faster than larger ones. Adjust accordingly to find your perfect texture.
- Edibles can be potent: If you have never had edibles before, it is essential to note that they will likely affect you differently than inhalation, topical, or sublingual application methods. Your experience may also be different if you use an Indica or Sativa strain.
- Edibles have a delayed onset: Edibles take 30-minutes to several hours to hit and can last 6-12 hours, so don’t reach for that second helping so quickly! You want to make sure your high time is a good time 🙂 If you accidentally get too high, check out these solutions here.
- Be safe: When it comes to cannabis edibles, please, start low and go SLOW! Your experience will be entirely dependent on your own endocannabinoid system.
- Be prepared: learn how to easily make the staple recipes needed to infuse this recipe, like cannabutter and cannabis sugar, with my Cannabis Cookbook!
- Gift mindfully: these great-tasting cookies make great gifts for a holiday party or special occasion. Just be mindful of the amount of THC you add to your edible recipes if you give them away.
How to Determine The Dosing
Want to get a more accurate guesstimate of the potency of your cannabis infusions and extractions? Try our popular edibles calculator!
Not sure what your perfect dose is? Learn more here.
Join thousands of like-minded cannabis lovers from across the world inside a censor-free forum where you can explore the health benefits of cannabis and truly learn what it means to live Well With Cannabis →
More Cannabis Cookie Recipes
Looking for more delicious cannabis cookie recipes? Check out all of our tried and true recipes for a fun, delicious baking experience!
My Edibles Made Easy Online Cooking Course will teach you how to easily make cannabis edibles and topical recipes at home. This step-by-step video course will teach you how to infuse, extract, and create edibles with many different product types - all from the comfort of your own home.
Learn more and enroll today →
Soft, Chewy Cannabis Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups white or cannabis sugar divided
- 1 cup cannabutter room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a sepreate mediun-sized bowl, using a hand beater on high speed, cream together the butter and 1 cup of sugar until it is light and fluffy, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla to the creamed ingredients and beat well on low speed.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients while continuing to mix. Mix until all ingredients are well incorproated and a dough is formed.
- Create 1 tablespoon-sized dough balls (using a #100 scoop). Roll them in the ¼ cup of reserved cannabis sugar, if desired.
- Place the dough balls 2" apart on the reserved parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the bottoms and edges are lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and cool 1-2 minutes before removing from the tray and transferring to a cooling rack. Enjoy!
- All ovens bake at different temperatures, and 10-12 minutes is an average baking time. Some ovens will bake quicker, so check your cookies for your desired doneness. Bake time will also depend on the size of your dough balls, so adjust accordingly.
I made this recipe using 8 oz of your canna butter. I didn’t have a #100 scoop but used my round 1 Tbsp measure to make 33 uniform round cookies. How do I use your dosing calculator get a good estimate of the strength of each cookie?
Renée from Team EKN
Hi Anne. Each cookie will be roughly 18mg ☺
8oz = 48 teaspoons
Each tsp of Bliss Butter = 12.5mg
48tsp x 12.5mg = 600mg
600mg ÷ 33 cookies ≈ 18mg
I half this recipe with coconut oil instead of butter, and omg these are SOO good! I added a little extra vanilla too but they turned out amazing. I honestly can’t believe I made them, that’s how good they turned out. Must try recipe!
Renée from Team EKN
Hi Cassidy. Thank you for sharing your tips with us! We are so happy you love them!
Robert M Sinclair
Hi Emily, just made the sugar cookies, and am very pleased. My question: How should I store them to keep their softeness? I have used the piece of bread methos, but it really isn't very good. Please help me and others with the same question. Blessing!
Renée from Team EKN
Hi Robert. Storing the cookies in an airtight container with white bread overnight should provide soft, chewy cookies in the morning. If not, you can try the following to soften the cookies when you're ready to eat. 1. Place your cookies in the microwave next to a glass of water. Microwave for about 30 seconds, and you’ve got yourself a soft, steamed cookie. 2. Wrap them in a damp paper towel and microwave. The moisture from the towel will be absorbed into the cookie when it’s microwaved for about 10 seconds. I hope this helps!
How many cookies does this make on the 1X recipe.
Renée from Team EKN
Hi Frank. This recipe yields 40 cookies. ☺️