Nothing screams easy edibles like these cannabis cupcakes made with your favorite store-bought mix. You are in the right place if you're looking for a straightforward recipe with multiple infusion options to choose from. Bonus - they are ready in under 30 minutes!
- Soft, fluffy, a melt-in-your-mouth treat!
- Great for a special occasion like a birthday party or anniversary
- Perfect for an after-dinner dessert or a mid-day pick me up
- An easy way to make weed cupcakes without having to spend a ton of time baking
Why You Will Love This Recipe
As far as baked goods go, cupcakes are one of my favorites! They are light, fluffy, and irresistibly soft.
However, making cupcakes from scratch can be hard and time-consuming. The good news is that this simple recipe leaves you with amazing cannabis cupcakes without all the hassle.
My Well With Cannabis Community doesn't have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen, so that's where my simple cannabis recipes come into play perfectly.
This post will explore how to make simple marijuana cupcakes with a box mix, get my expert tips, and thoroughly answered FAQs. Enjoy!
Buy Cannabutter Online
Skip the hard work and have perfectly dosed, delicious, pure Bliss Cannabutter delivered directly to your door! Shop Now →
- Cannabutter or oil: you will want to make sure you have these prepared ahead of time and allow them to come to room temperature before preparing the mix.
- Store-bought cake mix: feel free to use any box of cake mix you would like - you can find a variety of flavors at your local grocery store
- Frosting: use my cannabis buttercream frosting recipe or any store-bought option you wish
- Cupcake liners: if you're looking for something cannabis-themed, these cannabis cupcake liners are my favorite!
Note: a complete list of ingredients with amounts and printable instructions is located in the recipe card below.
- Step 1 - Preheat the oven according to the package directions. If you haven't already, prepare your cannabutter or oil in a crockpot or Instant Pot. If you already have it prepared and it has been frozen or refridgerated, allow it to come to room temperature.
- Step 2 - In a large bowl, prepare the batter according to the packaging directions, substituting your infused butter or oil for what is called for in the recipe. Feel free to use a hand mixer or an electric mixer to mix ingredients thoroughly.
- Step 3 - Place the cupcake liners in a cupcake pan. Pour the batter into each one.
- Step 4 - Bake according to the package directions.
- Step 5 -Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before removing them from the pan.
- Step 6 - Remove the cooled cupcakes from the wells.
- Step 7 - Frost with cannabis buttercream frosting or your frosting of choice.
- Step 8 - Decorate with cannabis-décor as desired, serve and enjoy.
Note: complete step-by-step printable instructions are located in the recipe card below.
You can store these cupcakes at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days or the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
Alternate Cannabis Infusion Options
As with all things edibles, there is more than one way to infuse something.
Below we will explore all of the different ways you could infuse a pot cupcake with the following ingredients.
If you have a cup of cannabutter lying around, it is a great way to infuse this recipe. All you need to do is let it soften before using it.
You can make crockpot cannabutter, Instant pot cannabutter, kief cannabutter, or CBD cannabutter.
Just don't use the microwave to soften it! There are many safe alternative ways to do this here.
If the cupcake mix you are using calls for oil, you can use just about any type of cannabis-infused oil in its place. From coconut oil to MCT oil, they will all work here.
You can easily mix in a cannabis concentrate of your choice with the same amount of butter or oil called for in this recipe.
While not my favorite way to infuse a recipe, you can just decarbed cannabis, decarbed kief, or decarbed CBD flower in this recipe by simply adding it in with the flour mixture.
Just don't forget to decarb first!
Notes and Expert Tips
- When mixing with an electric mixer, use a medium speed, paying attention to the consistency of the mixture and the mixer speed.
- As a rule of thumb, use less cannabutter for a less potent mixture and more cannabis butter for a more potent edible product. If you use less, you can make up the difference in volume with regular butter.
- If you're unsure of your tolerance, be sure to follow the golden dosing role of "start low and go slow" and start with a small dose. You want to have a good time, not an uncomfortable one, especially if this if your first time having edibles!
Frequently Asked Questions
Making cannabis cupcakes can be brand new to even the most seasoned cannabis consumer, so here are some of the most common FAQs I get asked about this recipe from my Well With Cannabis Community.
You can use any boxed cake mix you'd like! I love the classic vanilla or funfetti blends.
Yes, you can easily use a chocolate cake mix, dark chocolate cake mix, or make a chocolate frosting or chocolate icing by mixing the cocoa powder with the sugar mixture in this recipe. You could even add some chocolate chips to a small saucepan to get melted chocolate to make garnishes as desired.
It's a possibility. It all depends on how much THC you use and how your body reacts.
Yes, you can use a box mix that is dairy-free and swap the cannabutter for coconut oil. Just watch out for the heavy cream if you use my homemade frosting!
How to Determine The Dosing
Want to get a more accurate guesstimate of the potency of your cannabis infusions and extractions? Try our popular edibles calculator!
Not sure what your perfect dose is? Learn more here.
Join thousands of like-minded cannabis lovers from across the world inside a censor-free forum where you can explore the health benefits of cannabis and truly learn what it means to live Well With Cannabis →
More Cannabis Recipes You Will Love
My Edibles Made Easy Online Cooking Course will teach you how to easily make cannabis edibles and topical recipes at home. This step-by-step video course will teach you how to infuse, extract, and create edibles with many different product types - all from the comfort of your own home.
Learn more and enroll today →
Easy Cannabis Cupcakes
- ½ cup cannabutter or oil
- 1 box storebought cake mix
- Preheat the oven according to the package directions. If you haven't already, prepare your cannabutter or oil in a crockpot or Instant Pot. If you already have it prepared and it has been frozen or refrigerated, allow it to come to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, prepare the batter according to the packaging directions, substituting your infused butter or oil for what is called for in the recipe. Feel free to use a hand mixer or an electric mixer to mix ingredients thoroughly.
- Place cupcake liners in a cupcake pan. Pour the batter into each one.
- Bake according to the package directions, approximately 19-24 minutes.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before removing from the pan.
- Remove the cooled cupcakes from the wells.
- Frost with cannabis buttercream frosting or your frosting of choice.
- Decorate with cannabis-décor as desired, serve and enjoy.
How do you use cannabis grass instead of the infused butter you have ?
Renée from Team EKN
Hi Peggey. You'll want to grind your cannabis flower up to almost a fine powder, like kief, and add it directly into the butter/oil you use for the recipe. Be sure to decarb first if you are looking for intoxicating effects. I hope this helps!