Are you patiently waiting to make your own cannabis edibles - but are worried about the smell? Try decarbing in an Instant Pot or pressure cooker! This method keeps odor to a minimum, is super simple to set up, and requires no special equipment. Plus, you can move on to the infusion process directly after, if you want. So what are you waiting for? Let's get decarbing!
- Decreases odor significantly
- A quick and easy process
- No special equipment needed aside from the IP
- Can infuse butter or oil immediately after decarbing - right in the same jars!
Why You Will Love This Method
If you want to make your own edibles, one of the first steps in the process is decarboxylation to activate the CBD or THC.
The traditional method of decarbing involves baking cannabis in a regular kitchen oven, but the strong smell may be too overwhelming for some people.
Decarbing cannabis in an Instant Pot is a quick, easy, and effective method to achieve decarboxylation - without the odor.
The odor becomes trapped when decarbing in the Instant Pot, leaving less smell for you and a more enjoyable decarb process for everyone overall.
My Well With Cannabis Community is always seeking new ways to effectively decarb their cannabis, and this method has been tried and true, with many happy members loving this process.
This guide will discuss how to decarb cannabis using your Instant Pot or pressure cooker, along with some expert notes, tips, and tricks, and fully answered FAQs.
Join The Community!
Join hundreds of members inside my private Well With Cannabis Community to ask questions, find support, and share your creations!
- Instant Pot: There are many different Instant Pot models available. Just about any one will work, you just need the high-pressure setting.
- Trivet or Steamer Basket: To hold the mason jars upright inside the pot. You need a trivet or a steamer basket, but not both.
- Mason Jars: To hold the cannabis and keep it dry. Pint-sized jars are perfect.
- Cannabis flowers: Use your desired amount of cannabis flower, shake, trim, or kief - ranging from 1 gram up to 2 ounces or more. Select your preference of THC, CBD, or CBG dominant flowers. If needed, you can purchase them from your local dispensary or from my online shop here.
Note: a complete list of ingredients with amounts and printable instructions is located in the recipe card below.
The Step-by-Step Process
- Step 1 - Place your desired amount of cannabis in a mason jar and add a lid to fingertip tightness (not too tight). You do not need to grind the cannabis, just break it up into small, popcorn-sized pieces.
- Step 2 - Place the jar on the trivet or in the steamer basket.
- Step 3 - Place the trivet or basket in the Instant Pot.
- Step 4 - Add 4 cups of water to the Instant Pot.
- Step 5 - Set the Instant Pot to cook on high pressure for 40 minutes for THC-dominant flower, 60 minutes for CBG-dominant flower, 90 minutes for CBD-dominant flower, and 180 minutes for THC flower you want to degrade into CBN.
- Step 6 - After your selected time in minutes, carefully, manually release the pressure.
- Step 7 - Remove the jars and set them aside to cool.
- Step 8 - Your decarbed flower is now ready to use! Find many different ways to use it below.
Note: complete step-by-step printable instructions are located in the recipe card below.
Choose The Right Decarb Time
Each cannabinoid decarboxylates at a different temperature, so it's important to select the appropriate time based on the flower you have.
Use this guide to select the decarb time that is right for you.
- The most common recommendation for decarboxylating THCA to THC is to bake the flower at 240° F for 40 minutes.
- The most common recommendation for decarboxylating CBDA to CBD is to bake the flower at 240°F for 90 minutes.
- The most common recommendation for decarboxylating CBGA to CBG is to bake the flower at 220°F for 60 minutes.
- The most common recommendation for degrading THC to CBN is to bake the flower at 240°F for 180 minutes.
How To Use In Edibles
Once you have decarbed your cannabis, it is ready to use in many different ways.
The most simple way is to add ground, decarbed cannabis straight to recipes like a herb or spice, like salt or pepper.
You can also take this process one step further and infuse the cannabis into butter or oil using the Instant Pot.
How to Determine The Dosing
Want to get a more accurate guesstimate of the potency of your cannabis infusions and extractions? Try our popular edibles calculator!
Store decarbed cannabis in a cool, dry place in an air-tight container for up to 6 months, or even longer. I’ve seen some people store it for several years this way.
Notes and Expert Tips
- Use dried, non-decarbed, cannabis to start.
- Mason jars are the preferred container to decarb cannabis in.
- You can use your desired amount of cannabis flower, ranging from 1 gram up to 2 ounces.
- Select your preference of THC, CBD, or CBG dominant flowers.
- You can purchase them from your local dispensary or purchase hemp flower from my online shop here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Decarbing cannabis in an Instant Pot can be brand new to even the most seasoned cannabis consumer, so here are some of the most common FAQs I get asked about decarbing cannabis in an Instant Pot from my Well With Cannabis Community.
Decarbing in an Instant Pot produces significantly less than other traditional methods. You will barely be able to smell it, which is why so many people love it!
At least 6 months in a cool, dry place in an air-tight container. I've heard of it being stored for up to several years in the freezer. Just know that aged cannabis can cause THC to degrade into CBN.
Want To Make This Easier? Use A Machine!
Want A Discount Code?
Enhance Your Cannabis Education
My beginner-friendly Cannabis Compass Online Course will show you how to dose, use, and apply cannabis safely and effectively so that you can begin to manage your most unwanted symptoms the natural way from the comfort of your own home.
Learn more and enroll today →
How to Decarb in an Instant Pot
- 3.5 ounces cannabis flower, buds, trim, or kief
- Place your desired amount of cannabis in a mason jar and add a lid to fingertip tightness (not too tight). You do not need to grind the cannabis, just break it up into small, popcorn-sized pieces.
- Place the jar on the trivet or in the steamer basket and place the trivet or basket in the Instant Pot.
- Add 4 cups of water to the Instant Pot.
- After your selected time, carefully release the pressure.
- Remove the jars from the pot and set them aside to cool.
- Your decarbed flower is now ready to use. Find many different ways to use it in the post above.