This page may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
This Berry Quinoa Breakfast Bowl is a naturally vegan and gluten-free power bowl that has 17 grams of plant-based protein and all of the nutrients your body needs to stay full and focused all morning long.
Have You Ever Had Quinoa Before?
You may have heard the word quinoa before, pronounced keen-wah, but have been reluctant to try it. Have no fear!
It is similar to rice but with a bit more nutritional value and a slightly nutty flavor.
Quinoa is considered to be nutritionally superior to both brown rice and oatmeal as it contains more plant-based protein and more of certain vitamins and minerals – which make it an excellent breakfast choice.
It is also a naturally gluten-free whole grain.
PSA: DON’T FORGET TO WASH YOUR QUINOA
You may have only ever thought of quinoa as a savory ingredient, but this Berry Quinoa Breakfast Bowl is a great way to highlight the versatility and adaptability of this nutritious grain.
The best part about quinoa is that it can be used in dishes that are both hot or cold, sweet or savory.
BUT, the most important thing to remember when preparing quinoa is to rinse your quinoa before you cook it!
Quinoa has a natural surface protectant known as saponin which produces a bitter, soapy taste (hence the name!).
If you don’t rinse the quinoa first you won’t like the final result – and a say that from experience!
Trust me on this one – just wash it!
THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF QUINOA
- Quinoa is an excellent source of protein, and in fact is a rare non-meat complete protein source, meaning that quinoa contains all of the essential amino acids our bodies require!
- Quinoa ranks low on the glycemic index, meaning that it won’t spike your blood sugar like refined rice or flour will.
- Quinoa is an excellent source of dietary fiber which is necessary to keep you feeling full and satisfied after a meal. Foods rich in fiber have been shown to aid in weight loss, reduce blood sugar levels, and lower bad levels of cholesterol.
- Quinoa contains iron, B-vitamins, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, & vitamin E
- Quinoa is a strong source of antioxidants – particularly flavonoids such as Quercetin and Kaempferol which have been shown to have anti-cancer properties.
- Quinoa is naturally gluten-free which means that it is not necessary to remove any part of the grain via unnatural processes or ingredients.
- Quinoa can come in three main colors, white, red, or black quinoa. Technically this whole grain is a seed but has many of the health properties needed to be considered a grain.
Now don’t worry, quinoa is just as easy to prepare as rice or oatmeal. All you have to do is boil it in water or milk, or any liquid you like such as vegetable or bone broth!
Quinoa is prepared in a 1:2 ratio with
I love to make this recipe in a big batch on Sunday and keep it in the fridge so I have a healthy & easy breakfast all week long.
What else can you make with quinoa? Check out these recipes:
- Golden Milk Quinoa Porridge
- Coconut & Pineapple Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- Caprese Salad Grain Bowl
- Rainbow Chicken Quinoa Salad
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed
- 4 cups of unsweetened soy milk, or milk of choice
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen black berries
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons golden flax seeds
- Using a fine strainer, rinse the quinoa well.
- Combine the quinoa and soy milk in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Let the quinoa and soy milk come to a boil.
- Once the liquid is boiling, reduce the heat to low and place a tight-fitting lid on the saucepan.
- Let the quinoa and soy milk simmer together for approximately 20 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir occasionally.
- When ready to serve, top with almonds, berries, and flax & chia seeds.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 235 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 3mg Sodium: 34mg Carbohydrates: 27g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 4g Protein: 12g
Download Your FREE Meal Plan Before You Go!
If you’re looking for additional help in meal planning or discovering new and delicious recipes to try, be sure to download my Free eBook – The Happy & Healthy Flexible Meal Plan below:
Welcome! I’m Emily Kyle, a nationally recognized media registered dietitian nutritionist & holistic cannabis practitioner providing holistic health care for those living with autoimmune and inflammatory conditions. To help you, I offer food sensitivity testing, cannabis education, and this blog which provides free resources including anti-inflammatory recipes, holistic health, wellness and nutrition related articles, and evidence-based cannabis education.