These Almond Joy Energy Bites combine the nutritious goodness of oatmeal, dates, and almonds with the sweet and satisfying combination of coconut and dark chocolate.
You are only 20 minutes away from enjoying a nutrient dense dessert that is so tasty, you can’t eat just one! Just as every recipe deserves to be delicious, every recipe deserves to be nutritious as well.
Almond Joy Energy Bites
I love dessert more than I love any other meal or snack. I am a sweets lover and I know that it is important to be thoughtful about how much sugar I eat every day. Luckily, with some experimenting, I have found some pretty tasty ways to enjoy my favorite treats in a healthy and fun way! These Almond Joy Energy Bites have only 1/4 cup of added sugar from the agave syrup and a little bit of the chocolate drizzle. Otherwise, these tasty treats are naturally sweetened with dates.
One of the most important aspects of enjoying a healthy dessert is ensuring that the treat is also packed with nutrition. These tasty bites are nutrient dense and provide many important vitamins, minerals and amino acids that will serve the body well. The oatmeal and chia seeds provide complex carbohydrates that help to prevent blood sugar spikes, while the almonds and almond butter provide heart-healthy fats needed to keep you full and focused during the day.
These tasty treats make the perfect dessert – or even breakfast or a snack! They are pretty filling and 2-3 bites make a perfect serving size.
As Featured on Good Day Rochester
If you can’t tell, I LOVE energy bites. From fruit, nut and seed bites to my famous vegan chocolate chip cookie dough bites, I just can’t get enough! That’s why I shared my three favorite energy bite recipes in my weekly news segment on Good Day Rochester. Watch the video below 🙂
- 1 cup of oatmeal
- ¼ cup of chia seeds
- ¼ cup of wheat germ or flax seeds (for a gluten-free option!)
- ⅔ cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup chopped dates
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- Chocolate Drizzle:
- 2 tablespoons of dark chocolate (choose a Vegan kind if needed, like the ones from Trader Joes)
- ¼ teaspoon coconut oil
- Prepare a parchment paper lined baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the oats, chia seeds, wheat germ and slivered almonds and mix. together well,
- Add the dates, coconut milk, almond butter, coconut oil, agave syrup, almond and coconut extract.
- Using your hands, mix everything together well. The warmth from your hands will help to melt the almond butter, creating the perfect consistency.
- Begin to create 1 inch balls and roll between your palms until they are perfectly ball-shaped, set on parchment paper.
- When all the energy bites are formed, roll in the coconut flakes and return to the parchment paper. Set aside.
- aligncenter size-large" title="Almond Joy Energy Bites by Emily Kyle Nutrition" alt="Almond Joy Energy Bites by Emily Kyle Nutrition" />
- In a small microwave-safe dish microwave the chocolate for 60 seconds. Remove, add coconut oil and microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Remove and stir. Microwave in additional 30-second intervals as needed until smooth.
- Gently pour chocolate into the corner of a ziplock bag. Snip a small piece off the corner and drizzle away.
- Add any leftover coconut flakes before the chocolate dries.
I hope you enjoy these Almond Joy Energy Bites as much as I do, and always try and make your desserts as healthy and delicious as possible!
What is your favorite healthy dessert? Share in the comments section below.
P.S. DON'T MISS OUT!
Subscribe to get a free copy of my 5 Day, Plant-Based Meal Plan complete with a grocery shopping list, meal prep list, snack list & even a dessert list!