Delicious, melt-in-your-mouth, cannabis hot cocoa bombs! You've seen them on TikTok and Instagram, but have you seen them infused with cannabis? Find out how to make these fun, melt-in-your-mouth treats, with multiple different infusion options.
- The perfect chocolate treat to warm you up on those cold winter days!
- Experience a delightful pop of cocoa mix when topped with hot milk.
- Just 4 simple ingredients needed.
- Dietary features: nut-free, egg-gree, gluten-free. Can be made dairy-free, vegan & vegetarian (if appropriate substitutions are made).
Why You Will Love This Recipe
You may have seen the cocoa bomb sensation online, but have you seen it infused with cannabis?
The requests for this recipe from my Well With Cannabis Community were overwhelming! Everyone wants to enjoy a warm and delicious cup of soothing hot chocolate with all the cannabis-infused benefits.
So, this fantastic recipe was born! This is the hot chocolate we all know and love packaged up in the cutest chocolate bomb ever!
Plus, I share many different cannabis infusions to choose from so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy this amazing sensation that's hard to resist.
In this post, you'll learn how to make cannabis hot cocoa mix, create these cannabis-infused hot cocoa bombs with ease, and get my expert tips & tricks along with various infusion ideas.
Stock Your Canna Kitchen
- Decarbed cannabis flower: This ingredient will infuse the recipe. Find more options under the Alternate Infusion Options heading below.
- Chocolate chips or melting chocolates: Used for the outside of the cocoa bombs. Options that work include chocolate chips, melting chocolates, and bars of chocolate. You can also purchase dairy and nut free versions, if needed.
- Marshmallows: You can use classic or mini-sized marshmallows, just make sure they're fresh.
- Sugar: I use white, granulated sugar in this recipe, but feel free to use cannabis sugar or a sugar-substuite if needed.
- Cocoa powder: The main ingredient in this hot cocoa recipe! Just be sure to start with unsweened cocoa powder.
- Milk: Feel free to use cannabis milk or substitute for any plant-based alternative as needed.
- Nutmeg, vanilla, & cinnamon: Brings out the desired sweetness and adds warm flavor undertones.
Note: a complete list of ingredients with amounts and printable instructions is located in the recipe card below.
The Step-by-Step Process
- Step 1: Make your cannabis hot cocoa mix, prepare your work station, parchment lined baking sheets, and set up your molds.
- Step 2: Prepare a double boiler by adding 1 cup of water to the bottom pan. Place the top pan over the bottom.
- Step 3: Add the chocolate chips or melting chocolate to the top pan.
- Step 4: Melt until smooth, stirring frequently as needed. Remove from double boiler when done.
- Step 5: Spoon the melted chocolate into the molds, making a thin coat along the entire sphere.
- Step 6: Place the molds in the freezer until set.
- Step 7: Fill one half with 2 tablespoons of hot cocoa mix.
- Step 8: Fill with 1 tablespoon of mini marshmallows.
- Step 9: Gently dip one half back into the melted chocolate.
- Step 10: Bring two halves together to seal, smoothing chocolate as necessary.
- Step 11: Garnish with any additional chocolate and toppings.
- Step 12: Place in your favorite mug and top with hot milk to release, stir and enjoy.
Note: complete step-by-step printable instructions are located in the recipe card below.
Hot cocoa bombs are best if consumed shortly after making. However, you can store them in a refrigerator for up to 7 days in an air-tight container or in the freezer for up to 2 months. Keep these bombs at a cool temperature to avoid melting.
Alternate Cannabis Infusion Options
As with all things edibles, there is more than one way to infuse something. Below we will explore all of the different ways you could infuse this recipe.
Chocolate Infusion Options:
If you're looking to infuse the chocolate shell with cannabis, this in-depth chocolate guide offers THREE different infusion methods for you to choose from:
Milk Infusion Options
If you want to keep these hot cocoa bombs virgin, not infused with cannabis, in case you have kids or others around who cannot consume, try infusing this drink with cannabis milk instead!
Notes and Expert Tips
- If you want a more professional look and feel, temper the chocolate before making into bombs.
- When working with chocolate moldings, ensure enough freezing time to avoid breakage and melting.
- Feel free to use any chocolate of choice! Dairy and nut free chocolate chip alternatives are available in most stores.
- Make sure to warm up the milk prior to adding the chocolate bomb.
- Store in a dark environment with a cool temperature.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cannabis hot cocoa bombs can be brand new to even the most seasoned cannabis consumer, so here are some of the most common FAQs I get asked about Cannabis Hot Cocoa Bombs from my Well With Cannabis Community.
It takes about 1 hour in total.
Totally! This is likely the easiest cocoa bomb recipe you'll find! We don't temper the chocolate, making this method super simple and beginner-friendly.
Yes! I used these hot cocoa bomb molds, but Amazon and other stores have tons of fun molds that come in various shapes and sizes.
You could add coconut flakes, caramel, mint, white chocolate, macadamia (or other variations of nuts). The cool part about this recipe is that it's completely customizable to your likings!
Yes - these are perfect for gift giving. Individually portioned, these can be perfect for microdosing.
A small amount of THC, around 5-10mg, should be perfect for a single serving.
Want To Make This Easier? Use A Machine!
Want A Discount Code?
More Cannabis Recipes You Will Love
And don't forget to check out all of these delicious cannabis drink recipes as well!
My Edibles Made Easy Online Cooking Course will teach you how to easily make cannabis edibles and topical recipes at home. This step-by-step video course will teach you how to infuse, extract, and create edibles with many different product types - all from the comfort of your own home.
Learn more and enroll today →
Cannabis Hot Cocoa Bombs
To Make 1 Cup of Cocoa Mix
- 8 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 8 tablespoons white or cannabis sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground, decarbed cannabis
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle peppers
To Make 8 Hot Cocoa Bombs
To Make A Single Serving
- 1 finished hot cocoa bomb
- 1 cup milk cannabis-infused, dairy, or plant-based
- Prepare the cannabis hot cocoa mix first. In a small bowl, add the cannabis powder, cocoa powder, sugar, ground cinnamon, and ground chipotle if using. Whisk well until all ingredients are well incorporated. Store in an airtight jar until ready for use.
- Set up your workstation, so everything is ready to go when you start the process. Next, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set up your molds.
- Fill the bottom portion of the double boiler with one cup of water. Add the top pan and place on the stove, and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- Once simmering, add the chocolate chips or wafers. Steam from the bottom pan will heat the chocolate in the top pan, allowing the chocolate to melt slowly.
- Stir occasionally until the chocolate is melted, about 5 minutes. If you're infusing the chocolate, add your infusion method of choice now. Once everything is melted and combined, turn off the heat, remove the double boiler's top portion, and set it aside.
- Spoon the melted chocolate into the molds, making a thin coat along the wall of the entire sphere.
- Place the molds in the freezer until the chocolate is set.
- Fill one half with two tablespoons of hot cocoa mix.
- Top the same half with one tablespoon of mini marshmallows.
- Gently dip one empty half back into the melted chocolate.
- Bring the empty halves together with a full half carefully to seal, smoothing chocolate as necessary.
- Garnish with any additional chocolate and toppings.
- When ready to enjoy, place one cocoa bomb in your favorite mug and top it with warm milk to release the powder, stir and enjoy.
- These hot cocoa bombs are best if consumed shortly after making. However, you can store them in a refrigerator for up to 7 days in an air-tight container. Or, store in the freezer for up to 2 months. Try to keep these bombs at a cool temperature to avoid melting.