One of the best parts of cold weather is by far the warm and soothing drinks! This creamy cannabis hot chocolate will leave you wanting seconds. And, it's ready in under 10 minutes! Keep reading to find out how to make this recipe with multiple different infusion options.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Our favorite childhood drink has undergone a fantastic adult transformation! Have your hot cocoa and drink it too with this cannabis-infused hot chocolate recipe - it's the best of both worlds!
I can picture it now, the fireplace is on, light Christmas music is playing in the background, and a sweet cannabis hot chocolate is readily in hand. Ahhh, now that's what I call paradise.
That's why my Well With Cannabis Community has been requesting all the sweet and savory winter-time treats. And, when they talk I listen!
In this post, we'll explore how to make this cannabis hot chocolate, all the equipment, and tools that you'll need, different infusion options, as well as fully answered FAQs.
Looking For More Support?
Join thousands of members inside my private Well With Cannabis Community to ask questions, find support, and share your edible creations!
- Decarbed Cannabis Flower: This is what will infuse this recipe with all the cannabis goodness. Just be sure to decarb first. I also include alternative infusion options below if this isn't your style.
- Sugar: White, granulated sugar is used, but you can use any type of sugar or sugar substitutes as desired.
- Cocoa Powder: To give this drink a chocolatey taste, just be sure to use unsweetened.
- Milk: Feel free to substitute any milk of choice, dairy or dairy-free.
Note: a complete list of ingredients with amounts and printable instructions is located in the recipe card below.
The Step-by-Step Process
To Prepare Just Hot Cocoa Mix:
- Step 1 - Prepare either ground cannabis powder or cannabis sugar. Decide how many servings you want to make and scale the recipe accordingly.
- Step 2 - In a small bowl, add the cannabis powder, cocoa powder, sugar, ground cinnamon, and ground chipotle, if using.
- Step 3 - Whisk well until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Step 4 - Store in an airtight jar until ready for use.
To Prepare the Hot Cocoa:
- Step 1: Prepare the hot cocoa mix.
- Step 2: In a small sauce-pan over low heat, add the milk and hot cocoa mix. Whisk well until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Step 3: Heat slowly, stirring occasionally, until the milk is heated through, about 170-180°F. Be careful not to boil.
- Step 4: Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy.
Note: complete step-by-step printable instructions are located in the recipe card below.
For the cocoa mix, store in an air tight container in a cool and dry place for up to two months. For prepared cocoa, enjoy right away.
Alternate Cannabis Infusion Options
As with all things edibles, there is more than one way to infuse something. Below we will explore all of the different ways you could infuse this recipe.
Just Decarbed Cannabis
Once ready, run the flower through a coffee grinder so it is a very fine, powdery consistency. You can also use kief here as well.
Due to the potency of decarbed flower and kief, you should only need to use a very small amount, just a gram or so, maybe less depending on the strain you have.
If you don't like the taste of cannabis, this may not be the best infusion option for you, check out the alternative options below.
Making cannabis-infused milk or cream is a great way to infuse this hot cocoa. Just be sure to get the dosing recommendations given in this post, to ensure you're not overdoing it!
Infusing this hot cocoa with an alcohol-based cannabis tincture would work, too. The heat from the hot milk will help to evaporate the alcohol, leaving you with a perfectly infused drink.
While I have not tried this method myself, using a cannabis maltodextrin powder should work in this recipe, too.
Notes and Expert Tips
- To tone up or tone down the spice content of this recipe, feel free to adjust the amount of chipotle peppers added.
- Feel free to use mini or classic marshmallows!
- This recipe can be used to make a pre-made mix that is the perfect cannabis Christmas or holiday present.
- Once mixed with milk, it is best to consume right away.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cannabis hot cocoa can be brand new to even the most seasoned cannabis consumer, so here are some of the most common FAQs I get asked about this drink from my Well With Cannabis Community.
Yes! Non-dairy, plant-based, lactose-free milk are perfect for this recipe. Use what you prefer and can tolerate.
Absolutely! In fact, I did just that in my cannabis hot cocoa bomb recipe. Check it out!
It's not unbearably spicy. However, totally feel free to leave the chipotle peppers out.
You really can't go wrong with any pastry option. However, I really enjoy the classic chocolate chip cookie.
Want To Make This Easier? Use A Machine!
Want A Discount Code?
More Chocolate Recipes You Will Love
My Edibles Made Easy Online Cooking Course will teach you how to easily make cannabis edibles and topical recipes at home. This step-by-step video course will teach you how to infuse, extract, and create edibles with many different product types - all from the comfort of your own home.
Learn more and enroll today →
Creamy Cannabis Hot Chocolate
- In a small sauce-pan over low heat, add the milk, cocoa powder, sugar, ground, decarbed cannabis, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, and ground chipotle, if using.
- Whisk well until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Heat slowly, stirring occasionally, until the milk is heated through, about 170-180°F. Be careful not to boil.
- Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy.