Garden Fresh Tomato Cucumber Salad, a family favorite recipe from my kitchen to yours ♥
As an avid gardener and registered dietitian nutritionist, I firmly believe in the nutritional benefits of locally grow or even homegrown produce. If you have a small backyard garden or access to a farmers market, you can make this entire recipe with fresh and local ingredients! I promise you, you will taste the difference and fall in love with the bright, refreshing flavors of this simple salad.
My Favorite Family Recipe
For those of you who don’t know, I recently got married to my best friend of 6 years, Chef Phil! Phil is a co-owner and talented head chef at our popular local hometown restaurant and has really helped me to develop my love for food and cooking over the years. Most people say, “Oh, you’re so lucky to have married a chef“, but the truth is, because he spends 60+ hours a week in a kitchen, the last thing he wants to do when he is home is cook!Use up that #homegrown #produce with this Garden Fresh Tomato Cucumber #Salad! #vegan Click To Tweet
However, over the years there is one simple recipe he creates time and time again on a rare Sunday, this tomato cucumber salad. I remember when we were living in our basement apartment, and even though we didn’t grow our own food at the time, this recipe was always a staple – perhaps that’s why I love it so much ♥
Garden Fresh Tomato Cucumber Salad
If we’re friends on Instagram, you know what a passionate gardener I am. I believe there is something so special and holistic about growing your own food, and I take pride in the food that Mother Nature magically creates out of the seemingly thin air. If you enjoy local produce, I know you will agree with me that homegrown just tastes better. In fact, it is likely to contain more nutrition too!
When produce is obtained locally, whether it is from your own backyard or your local farmers market, it is likely to have a higher nutritional value than conventionally grown produce because it is fresher and has been obtained closer to harvest time. It is also typically more economical to but local produce, and often more environmentally friendly as well.
As Featured on Good Day Rochester
You know I love to share all of my favorite recipes on Good Day Rochester! This tasty cucumber salad made its way to center stage for my Vegetarian Summer Side Dishes segment, watch the video below! 🙂
2 cups of diced cucumbers
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon freshly chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced paper thin
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Optional: Purple basil flower for garnish
- Go out to your garden or local farmers market to pick out the freshest tomatoes, cucumbers, and fresh herbs.
- Wash and chop the cucumbers, tomatoes, basil and parsley.
- Add all to a medium sized bowl.
- Slice the red onion into very small, paper thin pieces. Add to bowl.
- Add vinegar, garlic, salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper.
Chef Tip: salt on the vegetables helps to draw out the natural moisture which helps to make the dressing!
- Stir well.
- Let the ingredients marinate together for 15-20 minutes. This will allow the flavors to come together.
- Garnish with a purple basil flower if desired. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! It is the best in the summer time with fresh garden vegetables, but is a great healthy addition to any meal throughout the year!
Do you have a garden at home or a favorite local farmers market to get your favorite fresh veggies from? Let me know in the comments section below! And don’t forget to Pin this recipe for later!
P.S. Are you interested in learning more about plant-based eating? Do you want to get healthy & stay happy without ever having to diet again? Be sure to sign up below for your free 5 Day Plant-Based, No Added Sugar, Meal Plan to see exactly how delicious plant-based eating can be!
BEFORE YOU GO!
Subscribe to get your weekly dose of holistic wellness, health & happiness!
Latest posts by Emily Kyle (see all)
- Learning to Love Food Again - August 16, 2017
- Getting to Know NOW Foods - August 9, 2017
- Why You Need to Become Your Own Health & Wellness Advocate - August 7, 2017
- Raspberry Peach Summer Glow Smoothie - August 5, 2017
- The Importance of Creating a Self-Care Routine - August 1, 2017