These Almond Joy Protein Balls combine the nutritious goodness of oatmeal, dates, and almonds with the sweet and satisfying combination of coconut and dark chocolate with anti-inflammatory CBD for a delicious, gluten-free treat.
Almond Joy Protein Balls with CBD
I love sweet treats more than I love any other meal or snack. I am a sweets lover, but I also know that for my own holistic lifestyle, I need to be thoughtful about how much sugar I eat every day.
Luckily, with some experimenting, I have found some pretty tasty ways to enjoy my favorite treats in a healthy and fun way. By using nutrient-dense ingredients, I am able to ‘have my cake & eat it too’.
500mg Full-Spectrum CBD Oil
CBD Protein Balls
Yes, you can eat CBD!
But first, as a cannabis educator, I always want to make sure you know what you’re getting yourself into.
Orally ingesting, or eating, CBD results in a ~6% bioavailability rate, which is much lower compared to other application methods. This means eating CBD is not the best way to consume it.
But, that doesn’t mean that enjoying CBD in your favorite food and drinks is worthless.
There is both scientific and anecdotal evidence to support the idea that CBD does truly help with pain, anxiety and more, which is why so many people are excited to add it to their food and drinks.
CBD may have the ability to help manage pain and anxiety inside the body thanks to our endocannabinoid system. The main responsibility of the endocannabinoid system is to help maintain homeostasis in the body.
Enjoying Sugar in Moderation
One of the most important aspects of enjoying a healthy dessert or sweet treat on a daily basis is ensuring that the treat is also packed with nutrition.
These Almond Joy Protein Balls have only 1/4 cup of added sugar from the maple syrup and a little bit from the chocolate drizzle. Otherwise, these tasty treats are naturally sweetened with dates.
Serving Size: These tasty treats make the perfect dessert – or even breakfast or a snack! They are pretty filling and 2-3 bites make a perfect serving size.
Protein Balls With Dates
These tasty protein balls are also nutrient-dense, meaning they provide many important vitamins, minerals and amino acids from the collagen protein powder that will serve the body well.
The oatmeal and chia seeds provide complex carbohydrates that help to prevent blood sugar spikes, while the almonds and hemp-seed butter provide heart-healthy fats needed to keep you full and focused during the day.
Collagen Protein Powder
Collagen is a protein that our body needs to protect the health and vitality of skin, hair, tendons, cartilage, bones, and joints.
Evidence has shown that collagen is an important nutrient to help heal leaky gut and associated autoimmune conditions. You can easily find collagen peptides at your local health food store or buy it online.
While the collagen peptides are optional in this recipe, it is recommended to add them if you can for their ability to boost the nutritional value of this recipe.
Each scoop of collagen peptides provides 20 grams of high-quality protein that can help to keep you full and satisfied after your morning meal.
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats, certified gluten-free
- ⅔ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 2 scoops unflavored collagen peptides
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
- 1 cup pitted, chopped dates
- ½ cup coconut milk beverage
- ¼ cup hemp-seed butter (or nut-butter of choice)
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon CBD Oil (or melted coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
Optional Chocolate Drizzle
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil
- In a large bowl stir the oats, almonds, chia seeds, collagen peptides and shredded coconut together and mix well.
- Add the dates, coconut milk, almond butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, almond extract.
- Using your clean hands, mix everything together well. The warmth from your hands will help to melt the almond butter, creating the perfect consistency.
- Create 1 inch balls and roll between your palms until they are perfectly ball-shaped. If you are doing a chocolate drizzle, set aside on parchment paper.
- When all the bites are formed, roll each ball in the coconut flakes and return to the parchment paper.
- In a small microwave-safe dish microwave the chocolate chips for 60 seconds. Remove, stir and add coconut oil, microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Remove and stir. Microwave in additional 30-second intervals as needed until smooth.
- Gently pour chocolate into the corner of a ziplock bag. Snip a small piece off the corner and drizzle away.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 105 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 3mg Carbohydrates: 12g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 7g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g
More Energy Bite Recipes
- Customizable Vegan Fruit, Nut & Seed Energy Bites
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites
- The Best Healthy Energy Bite Recipes