Discover how to make a high-class meal with this easy grilled steak with cannabutter. Made with our favorite condiment, you will learn when to add the butter to preserve your potency and get the best-tasting end product.
Table of Contents
- Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Ingredient Notes
- Step-by-Step Instructions
- Storage Instructions
- Alternate Cannabis Infusion Options
- Notes and Expert Tips
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Determine The Dose
- More Cannabis Recipes You Will Love
- How to Cook Steak with Cannabutter Recipe
- How to make a perfect steak topped with cannabutter
- Tips and tricks for adding the cannabutter at the perfect time
- How to make cannabutter or have my Bliss Cannabutter delivered directly to your door.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
But members of my Well With Cannabis Community know that there are many other savory and healthy uses for cannabutter.
A member recently shared a picture of their perfect, juicy steak topped with cannabutter.
This post will share my delicious grilled steak recipe, expert Chef tips for making the best steak possible, and our fully answered FAQs. Enjoy!
- Cannabutter: buy my Bliss cannabutter or find many different ways to make cannabutter below
- CBD seasoning rub: If you haven’t created this recipe, check it out! This rub is perfect for any steak recipe. It contains simple ingredients like ground black pepper, garlic powder, and salt. You can save it for next time in an airtight container if you have extra. Add salt and pepper if you don’t have the time or energy to make this
- Steak: There are many different types of steak you can choose; for this recipe, we recommend petite filet or hanger steak
- Olive oil: this coats the meat and creates a delicious seared crust. Do not use cannabis oil here are the high heat may destroy the cannabinoids during the cooking process.
Note: a complete list of ingredients with amounts and printable instructions is located in the recipe card below.
- Step 1 – If you haven’t already, prepare your cannabutter and savory CBD seasoning rub. Trim and cut the steaks if needed.
- Step 2 – Preheat a grill to medium heat. Safely oil the grill with spray, an oiled towel, or a brush. Preheat a large 12-inch cast-iron skillet or large frying pan over medium heat if you don’t want to use a grill.
- Step 3 – Coat the raw steak with the seasoning or salt and pepper.
- Step 4 – Rub the entire piece of meat with olive oil. Discard any remaining oil that has touched raw meat.
- Step 5 – Place the steak on the hot grill. Cook for 2.5 minutes per side, more or less for your desired doneness and thickness of the steak. I recommend pulling the meat off the grill once a temperature of 125°F is reached. If pan searing, place the steak on the hot skillet. For medium rare, a 1-inch thick steak will take approximately 3-4 minutes to cook on each side. Add 1 to 5 minutes per side for your preference of doneness.
- Step 6 – Once cooked, wrap the steak tightly in aluminum foil. Add the cannabutter and optional fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme to the foil pack. Set aside to rest at room temperature for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
- Step 7 – Slice to your desired thickness. Some people prefer thick slices, while others prefer thin slices for an impressive presentation.
- Step 8 – Serve and enjoy.
Note: complete step-by-step printable instructions are located in the recipe card below.
It is best to enjoy this recipe immediately. If necessary, store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and in the freezer for three months.
If you want to prep the steak and cook it later, follow steps 1-4 and then wrap the steak in plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator until it is ready for use.
Alternate Cannabis Infusion Options
As I always say, there is no right way to infuse cannabis, just a way that works for you!
Here are a few alternate ways to infuse these delicious steaks.
And if you are one of those new edible chefs, get started with my beginner’s guide first!
There are so many different types of cannabis butter to choose from.
- Bliss cannabutter
- Slow cooker or crockpot cannabutter
- Instant pot cannbutter
- Stovetop cannabutter
- Infusion machine cannabutter
- CBD cannabutter
- Kief cannabutter
You could also add decarbed concentrates directly to the cannabutter if desired.
Other Types of Oil
There are many different types of oil you can use, be sure to add the oil after the cooking process and not when the olive oil is called for.
Different oil types include:
Just Decarbed Cannabis
Cannabutter is not the only way to infuse this delicious meal.
If you want the activated effects of these cannabinoids, decarbing is the way to unlock these health benefits of marijuana.
The next step is to grind the decarbed cannabis into a fine powder. This ground cannabis is added directly to food like any other herb, like oregano or basil.
In this case, it is sprinkled on top of the steak just before serving.
Remember that this method presents the plant material in the final product. Choose this option based on your taste and texture preferences.
Notes and Expert Tips
- The key to this recipe successfully turning out is adding the cannabutter after any high-temperature cooking methods are over. The high temperature of a grill flame or the heat from a hot pan could potentially destroy the cannabinoids in the cannabutter. The low heat of the already-cooked meat is perfect for gently melting the cannabis-infused butter.
- If you start with regular butter, like unsalted butter or salted butter, you may notice some liquid separation; this is normal and can be discarded.
- If you want better-tasting, less green-colored weed butter, skip the grinding step before infusion.
- If you find your cannabutter turned out too weak, you can easily fix that.
- You can easily add cannabutter to any steak you have cooked. Any good steak will do, from filet mignon, cannabis-infused ribeye steak, tomahawk rib eye, cowboy rib eye, and rib steak; it all comes down to your preferences.
Frequently Asked Questions
Making cannabutter-infused steaks can be new to even the most seasoned cannabis enthusiast, so here are the most commonly asked questions I get about this recipe from my Well With Cannabis Community.
Getting the dose right is one of the most critical steps. Everyone has a unique response to cannabis edibles, thanks to our endocannabinoid systems. We all react differently to different doses and have different tolerance levels. As a good rule of thumb, a small starter dose should be between 2.5-5 mg of THC; however, you may need to adjust to feel the required effect.
This is one of the most delicious recipes you could share at a cannabis-infused dinner party. The goal is to keep the mg of THC to small amounts, so we don’t accidentally overdo it. When serving a bunch of people, it is always best to err on caution. You can add the cannabutter individually to each slice of meat or melt it over the sliced meat. No need to use the total amount of butter; just a little cannabutter will do. Adding a few teaspoons of infused butter to a regular stick of butter is the best way to keep the dose down.
Determine The Dose
Join thousands of like-minded cannabis lovers from across the world inside a censor-free forum where you can explore the health benefits of cannabis and truly learn what it means to live Well With Cannabis →
More Cannabis Recipes You Will Love
Take your edibles to the next level…
My Edibles Made Easy Online Cooking Course will teach you how to easily make cannabis edibles and topical recipes at home. This step-by-step video course will teach you how to infuse, extract, and create edibles with many different product types – all from the comfort of your own home.
How to Cook Steak with Cannabutter
- 1 pound steak petite filet or hanger steak
- 1 teaspoon savory CBD seasoning rub
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Bliss cannabutter
- If you haven't already, prepare your cannabutter and savory CBD seasoning rub. Trim and cut the steaks if needed.
- Preheat a grill to medium heat. Safely oil the grill with your choice of spray, oiled towel, or brush. If you don't want to use a grill, preheat a large 12-inch cast-iron skillet or large frying pan over medium heat.
- Coat the raw steak with the seasoning or salt and pepper.
- Rub the entire piece of meat with olive oil. Discard any remaining oil that has touched raw meat.
- Place the steak on the hot grill. Cook for 2.5 minutes per side, more or less for your desired doneness and thickness of the steak. I recommend pulling the meat off the grill once a temperature of 125°F is reached. If pan searing, place the steak on the hot skillet. For medium rare, a 1-inch thick steak will take approximately 3-4 minutes to cook on each side. Add 1 to 5 minutes per side for your preference of doneness. Use an instant-read thermometer and wait to reach a temperature of 125°F.
- Once cooked, wrap the steak tightly in aluminum foil. Add the cannabutter and optional fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme to the foil pack. Set aside to rest at room temperature for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
- Slice to your desired thickness. Some people prefer thick slices, while others prefer thin slices for an impressive presentation.
- Serve and enjoy.